billet or stock oil pump gears

copmagnet

Reaction score
Here is my dilemma.. Stock terminators are in the 600+HP range with stock pump. The new gt500's are almost 700 with stock pump.. I have a buddy who daily drives a 1xxx HP cobra with stock pump.. So I decided to listen to his advice and buy the stock frpp oil pump. Now that I'm close to assembling my motor and starting to worry about breaking the gears and destroying my motor. Other option is drop ANOTHER 400$ on TSS billet gears and not worry about oil pump failures, but worry about destroying the crank snout..

Who here is using the frpp pump? How much power and rpm do you make? And did you balance your rotating assembly?

Who here has destroyed the frpp gears and what was your power level/rpm?

Who here has used billet gears for a long time and has checked the crank snout for damage?

I really don't want to drop another 400 on oil pump but I don't want to fear this pump killing my motor either.

Please first hand experience guys only.

BigBore96

Reaction score
It's not an issue of power that kills the pumps. It's the crankshaft vibrations. Low quality crank dampners worsen the vibrations. That's why it's common people have a fear of underdrive pulleys as they tend to be lower quality than stock crank gears. I have no broken the stock gears but when I pulled mine out and replaced it with the new engine they had stress cracks. Not worth risking imo.

Spend the money get the TSS gears. I did. I went through the same scenario with my build and I didn't want to chance it.
Don't settle for anything less than TSS quality. Don't go a cheaper route.

As far as the snout, do you have 1 piece crank gears or early style 2 piece? If you have a 1 pc then I don't see you sheering off the crank key. Hell if you have the 2 piece most people pin them together and don't have any worry of sheering the crank key. That's what route I went as I have the adjustable gears.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Be sure to use at least an 11lb dampener like the cobra or gt500 does. Its a bigger plus If your going automatic, the torque converter takes that vibration.

Also most gears broke, were the aluminum backed oil pumps.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
And DOHC though high HP 3v motors are known for it top. The lower HP ones usually had under drive pulleys or a supercharger. I did a lot of research on s197f before buying my balancer

Here is what I did. I bought the frpp pump and threw it in. Its gonna stay like that until my break in period is done. After that time I'm gonna be replacing the cams. I am gonna upgrade to TSS gears then.

My assembly was balanced with the balancer and flexplate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.