Black 94-95 tail lights

Maximum95

Reaction score
My Mustang is Laser Red, and for some reason... the body color fades very easy, especially on the tail lights.
But here is something I did for now, since I can't really afford the whole paint job.

Here are my tail lights before...

TL.jpg

Before I got my car, I found a picture of a red 94 with black tail lights, and I really liked the look of it. Of course, that one had black rims to match.

But anyway, what I used was:

Sandpaper: 600 grit and quite a bit of 1000 grit
I don't remember the brand of paint, but some black spray for plastics
Clear Coat
Green masking tape

After removing the tail lights, I first taped off the lenses.

1228101653.jpg

Once they were carefully taped off (took about 2 hours) I sanded all the painted areas.
After the paint was sanded down well, I cleaned the area to be painted with glass cleaner, and began to paint.

1229101210.jpg

Also, used 1000 grit to smooth uneven spots when they occurred.
Once all the black was applied, I let the tail lights dry overnight.

The clear on my lenses was faded in some spots as well, so I removed the tape, and then taped off the black paint for protection. Then i got in the bath and used the spout to wet sand. Once they were free of oxidized spots, I dried them off, removed the tape, and cleaned once again in preparation to clear the entire tail light. Also, sanding between coats in uneven areas... they looked like this

1229102047.jpg

Let them dry and...

tl2.jpg

How do they look?

Metrock

Reaction score
Looks like you really took your time with them because they came out really nice.

mustang1

Reaction score
VERY NICE! Hats off to you for not selling out and going with vertical tail lights. I'll def be doing this now bc my tail lights look like yours did.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Quick, easy and cheap fix to faded taillights. I had my whole car re-done, so I had them paint the taillight bezels too, even though they originally didn't (they didn't want to because its a PITA to mask the lights :p). Here is before and after, if you ever get the car repainted, I HIGHLY recommend them doing it like this, looks soooo clean!
Before(Fresh paint on car, old paint on bezels)
IMG_0429.jpg

After(Fresh paint all around)
IMG_0441.jpg

LAFENATU

Reaction score
You did an awesome job..

I had mine done by a body shop because I know I'll fvck something up with painting myself lol

$60 later I had a set of fresh metallic tails :icon_rr:

Reaction score
I have noticed with my '95 that the bezels didn't get painted along with the rest of the car. They are a different shade and not as shiny. I have been thinking about having MAACO paint them when I get my decklid painted and filled (went wingless). I also just bought some 94 tail lights that I am using to hone my tinting skillz on. I hope it turns out good...

And hey, Saleen put black bezels on the S351:
m5lp_0311_02_z+1995_saleen_s351_mustang+rear_view.jpg

Looks good on a red car IMHO...

mustang1

Reaction score
Im still doing this as soon as my car get shipped to me but does anyone have any pics of black bezels with black rims, preferably on a red one.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Maximum95 said:
Aren't those one's on the S351 different from factory Mustang lights?

The black part is actually a cover. Pop the cover off, walla stock lights

OP
OP
Maximum95

Maximum95

Reaction score
I see now! They are covers. Also, here I have a pic of a red '94 black bezels and rims, not my car though just found it online.

94cruisin.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I guess you car was different at one time to have them painted, now I almost think you are different when they are the stock color....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online