Bleeding ABS module?

Reaction score
Swapped to Cobra front brakes expecting better feel - but my pedal still feels like a sponge. Bled all four corners, still spongy. I’m thinking air may be trapped in the ABS module. Does anyone know the process for bleeding it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What year is it? I know on my 94 you need a special computer to cycle/bleed it. I plan on having it done when I get the alignment done.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There was no air in your ABS system, when the brake line is open it drips from gravity. I have cleaned out my whole system with alcohol before and compressed air to get it totally clean and there is no secret to the refill. I just used time and gravity. Open one side and let it drip for an hour. Or you can remove the ABS and go commando old school. When you change the calipers or tire size the ABS is unable to compensate and will not work right without the system from a car that came with the PBR calipers.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Abs is for chicks and newb’s. Delete and take back control of your brakes. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
What year is your car? I have an ABS pump from a '98 Cobra if you need it. Also, check with Alec @ Mustang Morgue, he may have the year specific pump you need.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Find a dirt road and slam on the brakes a few times. It'll get the ABS pump to activate and move the air. When you get home do an old school bleed one more time and you should be good to go.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Somehow I missed all the replies to this. Whoops. It’s a 99. I’ll look into it tomorrow.

cobraracer46

Reaction score
you need a scan tool that can cycle the ABS module.

I own a scan tool that can cycle the ABS system.
If you don’t own the required equipment to properly service the abs system then take it to a shop. You don’t want to compromise a critical safety feature .

I laughed at the foolish suggestions to delete the abs system.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you need a scan tool that can cycle the ABS module.

I own a scan tool that can cycle the ABS system.
If you don’t own the required equipment to properly service the abs system then take it to a shop. You don’t want to compromise a critical safety feature .

I laughed at the foolish suggestions to delete the abs system.

And oddly enough most race cars don’t have abs. How does nascar, IRL, F1 and many others drive without abs and all while driving 200mph?!?? Huh.........guess it’s not meant for performance vehicles.

Do your research, abs has actually been known to increase braking distances upon heavy breaking. It’s sole purpose is to keep you from sliding as bad.

My mustang was one of the first cars I’ve owned with it. If I’d of bought it new I’d of ordered it without. Once a car is modified and you no longer have stock wheels and brakes then the abs system actually no longer works correctly and can cause it to either fail completely or misfire causing more harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litelmac

Members online