Blew my engine...

Caboose302

Reaction score
Well I've been gone for a while and not without reason. It's been one thing after another with this car the last year. Sadly she's been sitting for a while since I've been riding my motorcycle taking advantage of the great riding weather, then my DD had to have the crossmember replaced after rusting out. So I started driving the mustang again. Then the control arm went out. Installed a new one and then the transmission started kicking out in fourth gear, then a few weeks after that I start hearing some valve train noise. Then a few days later my dad and I have a talk and he ends up giving me the truck we built together. However the truck needs restored again and isn't driveable right now.
THEN the engine in the mustang goes out. Starts knocking pretty bad coming home from work.
THEN the carburetor on my bike gets plugged and needs disassembled and cleaned.

So at one point I had FOUR vehicles and could drive NONE of them:mad:. ( There's a point to this post just follow me for a minute)

My dad says he wants to help restore the truck since he's the one that let it sit for so long and wants to get it done this winter soooo,
We got the truck running and driving so we can take it to a body shop for an estimate. If it's too high I'm just going to do the bodywork myself. IF we end up having someone else replace the body panels, I'm going to pull the engine in the mustang and rebuild it. Otherwise it's going to sit for a while.

I just don't know what direction I want to go yet. If the pistons are shot I may replace the dished pistons with flat tops and get back some horsepower that was lost. If the rotating assembly is fine I may just rebuild it with different cams and set it up for boost once and for all. Either way I've been out of the game so long i'm sure I'll have some questions again. As of right now I don't know if the crank and rods are forged or not so I'll be upgrading them if they're not.

So here's my question... What are the forged rods and crank to get now? I've heard Eagle cranks are made in China now and not as reliable as the used to be when I used them in the past. I know to stay away from MMR... or was it ModMax? I'm also debating on a nitrous set up just for some cheap fun. Or maybe a Cobra swap. I need ideas on where to go with this build.

Just for S&*ts and giggles here are my other projects...

67 Chevy Pickup. Top was what it looked like 10 years ago vs the bottom which is today. Hence why it's getting restored.

And my 2008 Daytec Wolf Custom bike that apparently needs more attention than a toddler...

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
Lol while the coyote is a great engine I doubt it can replace the torque of the 462 BBC in the truck. And I like the idea of having a relatively quick 2v because everyone poo poos on them so much. But the bike... Now that's an idea...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The top pic of that Chevy. Good lord I'd love to have that truck.

Sent from my bored/stroked iPhone 6S

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
Yeah she was gorgeous once upon a time... I'm actually going about 4" taller and an inch bigger/narrower on the wheels. It looked good like that but the tires rubbed off road. Needs more clearance.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah she was gorgeous once upon a time... I'm actually going about 4" taller and an inch bigger/narrower on the wheels. It looked good like that but the tires rubbed off road. Needs more clearance.

I have the same problem in my truck now. A -44 offset on 20s isn't helping though.

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
I have the same problem in my truck now. A -44 offset on 20s isn't helping though.

Damn I bet that helps them stick out a bit. What size tires are you running?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn I bet that helps them stick out a bit. What size tires are you running?

37s. Everything is fine until I'm turning and articulating at the same time, then it rubs like a mofo.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
b73e3906ec7ae30fd470f02453892bae.jpg

Like this, it rubbed up the passenger fender pretty good for this pic.

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
Ahh gotcha. That's a good looking truck. Just throw some Bushwackers on it lol. I had an issue with my 35x15.5x16.5 TSL SXs where the outside lug would grab the front of the fender on hard turns. I'm throwing a 2" body lift on it, 36x14.5x16.5 TSL Radials and eventually get rid of the 6" mud springs and go with 8" trail springs to make sure it clears.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh gotcha. That's a good looking truck. Just throw some Bushwackers on it lol. I had an issue with my 35x15.5x16.5 TSL SXs where the outside lug would grab the front of the fender on hard turns. I'm throwing a 2" body lift on it, 36x14.5x16.5 TSL Radials and eventually get rid of the 6" mud springs and go with 8" trail springs to make sure it clears.

Negative on the flares, at least not the cutouts. That setup should be great. You'll be happy with that.

These are terms I don't understand...

This actually made me LOL

OP
OP
Caboose302

Caboose302

Reaction score
Negative on the flares, at least not the cutouts. That setup should be great. You'll be happy with that.

This actually made me LOL

I was kidding about the flares. I love the guys that out them on after taking a sawzall to the fender.
These are terms I don't understand...
Lmao... I had to relearn what they all meant about 6 months ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online