Blower motor issues...

myk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was driving my '01 GT the other day with the air on at full blast, when suddenly the air just stopped. Or at least, I thought it did. I could still feel cold air coming from the vents, like it was on speed 1, when in fact the dial was on speed 4. Later, when I got back to the car after stopping it the air/blower was working fine again, with all speeds available to #4. Same thing happened again this morning: air on full blast then suddenly it just kicks down to speed 1, with cold air but no higher speeds. The same problem applies to the heat. What is going on here?

I've heard common problems like speeds 3 & 4 working perfectly, but no low speeds, but in my case I have the opposite problem. Any of you guys encounter this before? I tried swapping out the blower motor resistor but that didn't change anything. Could it be the actual blower motor switch? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My mustang does the low speed and not the higher. My ford van is the opposite. I believe it to be the blower switch

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have never pulled the resistor out but I though it was easy enough to pull it out and give it a visual inspection and replace if needed. I would start there.

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
Yes, I changed the resistor with a brand new part-no change...

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
A switch? You mean...the actual switch on the control panel? Jeez I never thought of that; hold on...

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
What? No, I mean I'm going to buy a switch and try it out. I don't think it's the blower motor, the fuse is obviously good, the blower motor resistor is new, the wiring is probably good, so the only thing left is the switch. If you have any other ideas I'm all ears...

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
I would get a meter and test some voltages before I started just throwing more parts at it.

I'm assuming you're refering to checking continuity between the contact points in the switch instelf?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember if you can buy that switch by itself or if you have to replace the whole cluster. Luckily I've never had that issue on mine.........

Or at least not that I can remember since my car has been in pieces for 3 years!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
I went to storage and dug out my '98 Factory service manuals; I figure the '98 manual will still mostly apply to my '01. Apparently the switch CAN go bad on its own but at least you can replace IT and not have to do the entire cluster. I have a buddy who works at an Oreilly's who's getting me the part tomorrow and it's not going to cost me anything so I'll swap it out and go from there. Thanks guys, any other ideas are appreciated...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
of course a switch can go bad just like anything and a meter would confirm it. You could check continuity but I would probably just start with checking voltage at the motor and work your way back to the switch.

OP
OP
myk

myk

Reaction score
Hey guys it was the switch. Thanks for your input everyone; commuting isn't such a pain now...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Also half the fun!

You got picks of your car? Post them up

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010