blower with fmu

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
well i have my powerdyne sitting in the room awaiting installation but have had some questions about the fmu. i have the chip and it should be getting dyno tuned soon after the installation, but i was wondering if its safe to go ahead and run the fmu without the tune until i can get it in for a dyno? just really anxious to get it installed ofcourse. and to my understanding my fmu tunes it 12to1 for 19lb injectors. now i do plan on upgrading the entire fuelsystem but as of right now money is tight, and would like to get away with the fuel pump, guess the question is, will the fmu be a form of safety for me until the tune? thnx for any and all help, just cant seem to understand whats the point of the fmu if i HAVE to dyno tune lol...

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Ditch the FMU and get a proper set of injectors and MAF.

Whistler98

Reaction score
The fmu will work, I have had mine on there for over 2 yrs and no probs. But if I had it to do over again I would have just spent the money on the fuel system in the first place. I didn't know enough at the time and my fuel system is maxed out. Now if I do any mods I have to get a retune and that is why I am just waiting until I redo my motor.

S

scarface

I ditched the FMU, It just seemed like I was taking a chance with a bandaid. I got 42lb injectors and an adjustable FPR.

Honestly I dont know if I would drive a Blown car, regardless of the fuel system without a proper Dyno tune.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For the first couple of years all Blown 4.6's had an FMU since nobody cracked the ECU etc so tuners were not available. I wouldn't do it but i'm sure it would be ok.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
just wanting to verify that it would be ok. i guess i could prolly slap her on this weekend then, if not then hopefully sunday night/monday night i can have it complete... should be fun being blown... it will recieve its tune next week though, thats for sure...

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
well looks like i got screwd on a sct chip. so pissed about it and dont know what to do... any insight, i mean i was gunna have it tuned by monday, but will have to wait due to this jackass...

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
buy an xcal2 from your local tuner, have him give you a temp tune so you can drive the car to him and let him dyno tune it...that is what i will be doing, no messing with teh FMU bullshit.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
dont really wanna spend 400 bux on the tuner + w.e the temp tune would cost, and then turn around and spend 120-500 on the dyno, would rather just get my chip (can have 5 different tunes) and spend the 120 on the dyno, just seems more realistic,

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
also if u think about it, these blowers where meant to be used on 100% stock cars with the equipment they give you...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
FMU's have been around forever and always worked safely, they just don't give you the max power, your fine with an FMU.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
like i said, its going on the dyno anyways for the tune (to check the AF mixture) but i was just wanting to make sure i could run the fmu rather then having to spend more money then i have. thnx for the replys, i need to get it installed soon...

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
If you dont have the money just install the kit, then check a/f. But doing a dyno tune with 19 and a fmu is a waste of money if you are going to upgrade the fuel system soon(don't do things twice).

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
If you dont have the money just install the kit, then check a/f. But doing a dyno tune with 19 and a fmu is a waste of money if you are going to upgrade the fuel system soon(don't do things twice).

so your saying just install the kit, dont worry about a tune then? i dont have the money currently and already got my chip for the tune, so should i just put it on the dyno to get numbers while they check my airfuel(80) or should i go out and buy a handheld(400) o0o the possibilities 8)

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
air/fuel was 12.6 at idle went to 11.3 at wot. isnt that right where i should be, or atleast pretty damn close? no tune so numbers sucked but i put down 377ftlbs lol. and i dont have a graph(me and the tuner got into a big arguement, and lets just say i wont be going back to him)

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
i actually havent got on it at all, and never took it over 2k. the tuner was saying the MAF is pegged after 3600 rpms and advises i get a new one (in face he wouldnt tune it for the price we agreed on, and was trying to hit me over the head with 8 hrs in tuning +a new MAF and new chip) on the dyno graph it showd where it pegged and the computer goes into some sort of shut down mode at WOT, owell i still put down 235/377 at 3600(they dont seem accurate but they where there). but i do love the car even though i am gunna need a handheld, and MAF now...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Your A/F ratio is damn near spot on. You may want to look into a Lightning MAF, or maybe another tuner, since I ran my stocker with a Vortech at 8lbs with no problems.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
your maf sensor may be bad but not pegged. What happened on the dyno?What did the car do? I had a tuner tell me I ran out of fuel when the car had spark blowout so always watch out for tuners. Alot of tuners want you to use their setups because that is the only tune they know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online