blower with fmu

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
ya, im going to find a different tuner, i might just datalog it, there arnt any other tuners around. but i do know the car went into a shut off mode after 3600-4000 rpms for whatever reason, he swore its the MAF being pegged, but i beg to differ, hes just an all around asshole. i am gunna look into a bigger MAF like the lightning, another question though, can i upgrade the MAF without upgrading the injectors or do i have to do both, he said the MAF doesnt know what to think and is having the injectors wideopen and that rpm, and with a bigger one it should fix the problem? any truth in this?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
To keep it simple, the lightning MAF is mapped to the stock Lightning injectors, which are 42lbs. A tuner like the Xcal can set it up for different injectors.

Howerever, if you get the Lightning MAF, 42lb injectors, and an Xcal2, you won't need your FMU anymore.

In all honesty, there isn't alot for your "tuner" to do with your set-up, the FMU automatically boost's fuel pressure at a pre-determined rate. Your injectors may be going static, but I doubt that with your set-up. A set of 24 lber's might fix it, but I would seriously consult with someone knowledgable first. Try Modular Depot, or Lethal Performance. An FMU set-up really is just a matter of bolting it up and going. Do you have your dyno sheet's? If you post's them I could do my best to see if what he said is true, and I'm sure more knowledgable people would also chime in.

As an aside, 3000 rpms is about as low as a chassis dyno will pull, and the ones I've used all started at 3500, so basically he's saying as soon as he put a load on it it went static, which is odd.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
i dont have dyno graphs, like i said, we never really got a pull in, he said he was affraid to take it any higher because the MAF was pegged. but with the MAF, could i go ahead and keep my stock injectors? i understand that there isnt much for the tuner to do, seeing as the FMU is doing the job. going static with the injectors is bad correct? so many questions i have lol

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
There are ways to reprogram the MAF's for smaller injectors, but really the best bet would be the Lightning and 42's, then you could ditch the FMU altogether. Before you spend any money get in touch with a reputeablt tuner via phone and explain your situation and see what they say.

Really the MAF should not be pegged at your power level, the injectors going static means they are at 100% duty cycle, or open all the time, and yes, it's bad.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
when you get the maf sensor its time for injectors and a tune. the lightning maf are used because tuners dont want to take the time to enter the spec.(if you have a pro-m anysize it come with a spec sheet to use you put this in the scale and your computer does the rest. Most tuners use a cover up formula because it takes less time. I dont know where you are from but call justin at vmp performance, they have a web page too. what does the car drive like?

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
well i have no other tuners around for a few hours, i also dont have much money left over, looks like ill get some used injectors, a MAF and a tuner. the lightning MAF is what i should do? and ditch the fmu correct?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you feel you must, then yes that is correct. Is it popping an error code or driving poorly? Anyhow the Lightning is a better set-up, and you can just go easy on it until you can get to get it tuned.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
no its drving great under normal driving, shifting strong, and running strong, i havent even had it passed 3k since the blower went on, and i will not be putting it back on that guys dyno for anything. u think 24s would be ok for now with the LMAF and datalogging it until its right? u dont think ill run out of fuel do you? i heard with 24s i should still run the fmu... is that true? im just wanting to be able to make a few passes down the track casually and not worry about it with out spending a asston of money

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
If its driving fine maybe you should drive it and see how it does because it should be fine as long as everything is installed right and 24's is not enough if you change injectors just get 42's. I just think he didn't know what he was doing and he wanted you to change to a setup he knew.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
ok you called it, im going to go drive it and see how it does lol. i dont think he knew what he was doing, i have no reason to peg my MAF and really shouldnt be maxing out my injectors just yet. if i must upgrade i will use 42s and a lightning maf prolly. will be back in 20 or so with the results

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Lol, I hope, but seriously, it should be fine. People ran blowers like that for years, and made way more power than you probably are, no offense.

Daywalker

Reaction score
The FMU will work fine, just as long as it's set properly. To little, and you run the risk of detonation, too much, and you'll be fouling plugs left and right, just like I did...... :hammer:

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
what do u mean by to little and to much with it being set properly?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
The rate at which the pressure rises is adjustable with different disc. If you do exactly like you did, which is take it all out of the box and install it, you're fine. But start screwing with it things like pulleys and the FMU rate and you can have problems, especially since most tuner's are not familiar nowadays with the old school FMU.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
o0o i c, well with my blower there isnt far i can go as far as pulley swaps lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99