Blue plastic box on trans tunnel

cameron57

Reaction score
The blue plastic box on the transmission tunnel is no longer in my car i removed it from my car because it kept beeping. Anyways i no longer have airbags or intend to. Would removing this box make my tach and spedo and a couple other things in the cluster not work?

Thanks,
Cameron

MSRTom

Reaction score
Get yourself a copy of the wiring diagram. It was beeping because it detected no airbags.

AFAIK, I don't think it would affect anything in the console other than the Airbag light. It's been a long time since I looked at one and how it attaches, but you may want to check and make sure that you didn't leave any ground screws disconnected. If I remember right, there are 2 or 3 green screws down in that area for grounds.

OP
OP
cameron57

cameron57

Reaction score
Its not under the center console its under the dash i bet it has to do with grounds... But i dont see any hoops under the dash in the harness for grounds. And thats what i thought it was any ideas what else to check?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there should be sound ground wires along the base of the console/floor area that go up to the dash. Green bolts normally.

OP
OP
cameron57

cameron57

Reaction score
So those should not affect the gauges...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with gauges I got rid of mine

RichV

Reaction score
Mine is gone too.

There are a boatload of grounds under there. Lemme post up a pic ...

My pics are not very good on that area. But the airbag module is infront of the shifter in the dash skeleton. There are some grounds in there that I commoned up and bolted to the tunnel.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Technically they should not be needed as the dash frame is bolted in, but I also know they are there for a reason. As an security installer for years I was told that while we are told any solid frame/metal on a car can work as a ground, I was also told the dash frame/structure of most cars is NOT a good place to tap a ground. I can't help but think that this is why because the grounds are probably left off thinking that they are not needed if/when its taken out. I agree that they should not matter but when chasing electrical gremlins you better start stupid-simple or in the end you feel stupid. Its amazing what a bad ground can do...