Body work guys... what's the best/easiest way to stop this from rusting

Discussion in 'Exterior and Interior' started by DeepList, Jul 4, 2014.

1. DeepList

DeepList Administrator Admin SN95 Supporter

Not mustang related, but it's on my cop car, above the drivers side rear wheel. The paint is damaged and this is the only spot of rust on the whole car. I want to repair it before it gets any worse, or spreads. It just looks like surface rust. I don't know jack about body work. Question for the body work and repair guys: What would be a cheap (and effective) solution to repair this? I don't care if the repair spot is visible afterwards. I only paid $1800 for the car and use it as a daily driver. Cosmetics aren't important, I just don't want this spot to get out of control by the tin worm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ttocs

ttocs Legend

if you really don't care just take it off with a wire brust/wheel or some sand paper and then mask/prime/paint

3. Orange 94

Orange 94 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

^ that's probably the easiest.
    Could probably just clean it up and touch up paint?

There's suppose to be some sort of kit or procedure for a situation like yours. I think it cleans then covers/protects it. It obviously needs to be done correctly, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

Ask whippy.

4. joekd

joekd Well-Known Member

Duct tape, keep the roll in the car for future spots

5. ttocs

ttocs Legend

you can find a paint-over-rust(POR) paint but for the size its not really worth it. It would take 5-10 mins with a wire brush by hand, 10 secs if you have a wheel on the grinder of your choice and its prepped for the rest after masking where you don't want the paint.

6. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

Rule 1: "cheap" and "effective" don't work together in the auto body industry.

I'd just do this, it'll probably last a few years if it really is just at the surface.

7. DeepList

DeepList Administrator Admin SN95 Supporter

I understand. If it was one of the mustangs, I'd look into doing it "right" but this car is just a daily driver. By "effective" I meant to stop/remove the surface rust so it doesn't get worse and then cover the spot back up so it semi-matches the rest of the paint and move on.

Sounds good. I already have a rattle can of "ford white" paint. I'll go get some primer and take the wire brush to it. Sounds easy enough.

Thanks guys.