Bolt ons

Stock982v

Reaction score
My buddy just got a 96gt , he's wanting to know what kind of power he could be seeing with , basic bolt one , like 70mm tb , cold air intake ,and mid length headers

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just intake/exhaust will help a bit but I don't see it dropping much time in your 1/4 mile.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bolt-ons on a 96 2V do almost nothing. They will help if you are going to get serious later with heads/cams etc. but basic bolt-ons will add maybe 10-15 hp in total if you are lucky.

I would do gears first, then a high flow mid pipe. Look for used bolt-ons if you really want to go that route.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Like they say, not much. Ask me how I know? If he wants to enjoy the car, he NEEDS to do the PI heads, cams and intake swap", period. Short of that, he won't be happy.

Reaction score
OP, tell your buddy to not waste money on 'bolt ons'. The best mods you could do are gears and off road X pipe. That should drop 1/4 mile by .5 seconds and get the car solidly into 14's if its running right and if your buddy can drive.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not unless the engine is completely thrashed and tired.

A decent NPI 4.6L holding good compression in all 8 cylinders should put about 175-180 rwhp to the wheels.

Negative. For one, we don't know if it's 5 speed or auto. It's not uncommon for even low mile NPI 4.6 motors through an auto to be in the 150s.

5 speed can be a little closer to where you're suggesting, on a fairly forgiving dyno. Full "bolt ons" are lucky to break 200.

Though, your advice is fairly sound. I would say gears and LCA's though.

Reaction score
Negative. For one, we don't know if it's 5 speed or auto. It's not uncommon for even low mile NPI 4.6 motors through an auto to be in the 150s.

5 speed can be a little closer to where you're suggesting, on a fairly forgiving dyno. Full "bolt ons" are lucky to break 200.

Though, your advice is fairly sound. I would say gears and LCA's though.

Well, I dont think its necessary to argue the point. I think you're absolutely right if the car is an auto. However, I think a good running 4.6L 5 spd will put out closer to what I stated. Again, the variation between dynos and dyno operators and particular cars is so great that we are both probably right.

OP
OP
S

Stock982v

Reaction score
Bolt-ons on a 96 2V do almost nothing. They will help if you are going to get serious later with heads/cams etc. but basic bolt-ons will add maybe 10-15 hp in total if you are lucky.

I would do gears first, then a high flow mid pipe. Look for used bolt-ons if you really want to go that route.
I let him read this and he did some research he is looking at MHS stage 2 NPI cams. what power gains could he see from that , and it is a slushbox , he said for gears he wants 373s...

Reaction score
I let him read this and he did some research he is looking at MHS stage 2 NPI cams. what power gains could he see from that , and it is a slushbox , he said for gears he wants 373s...

Tell him to get 4.11s for an auto. I'll let others with more experience answer the question about cams.

Also, why isnt your buddy on the forum himself?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cams are nice but if he doesn't swap to a PI Intake it will be a waste of money. The stock 96-98 intake manifold is absolute garbage for performance.
He will be happy by just swapping the PI Intake and cams on his car. That will help with other mods also i.e.; TB/plenum/cai etc.

I have 3.73's with my auto and like it. 4.10's would be nice also.

Tell him to look into the J-Mod asap for the auto. 4R70W trans is actually a quality slush box when built up a little.

I put down 172rwhp bone stock with my auto 2V but that was over 15 years ago.

With foxlake stage 2 PI heads/Comp 262AH's and most of the popular bolt-ons I was at 285rwhp. That was a really fun setup and I should have left well enough alone :(

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I dont think its necessary to argue the point. I think you're absolutely right if the car is an auto. However, I think a good running 4.6L 5 spd will put out closer to what I stated. Again, the variation between dynos and dyno operators and particular cars is so great that we are both probably right.

I can agree with this

joekd

Reaction score
A decent NPI 4.6L holding good compression in all 8 cylinders should put about 175-180 rwhp to the wheels.

Pretty much right on the money. My all stock (right down to paper motorcraft filter) 96 GT with ~60K miles dyno'd 171HP to the rear, 5 speed car

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I think hed be real happy with a full pi swap. Plus if he ever decides to throw fi at it boost responds well to the 10.5:1 compression.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online