Bolted a PI intake to my 98'

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good job!! I also noticed my exhaust note changed with the PI intake swap. Now I need work up the give a **** to install the damn heads, cams, longtubes, Accufab plenum and what not.

I'm half tempted to send you my ported PI's to throw on the beast.

OP
OP
DFG_magic

DFG_magic

Reaction score
I'd like to do a set of blower cams or just slip in some PI cams before I throw on the intercooled vortech. More than likely, I'll stick with the untouched NPI heads until I drop the hammer on some Trickflow's. That will be after the blower, of course.

OP
OP
DFG_magic

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Good job!! I also noticed my exhaust note changed with the PI intake swap. Now I need work up the give a **** to install the damn heads, cams, longtubes, Accufab plenum and what not.

Appreciate that! Yeah, wasn't a bad job at all. I screwed up with that short bolt in the back the first time around. She moves out really, really well compared to Dorman NPI intake. Which longtubes did you go with? I'm torn between Flowtech longtubes (have them Cerakoted) or BBK shorties. BBK longtubes too expensive for the quality and fit issues... IMHO, if i'm going to spend that much, I may as well do a set of Kooks, SW's, or American Racing and call it a day.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Honestly? I bought them used off of a guy swapping in an LS motor. I'll look them over and figure out what brand they are. Likely hooker.

...everyone loves hookers...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Honestly? I bought them used off of a guy swapping in an LS motor. I'll look them over and figure out what brand they are. Likely hooker.

...everyone loves hookers...

You got hooker headers and didnt even know it?!?!?! Thats insane!

1bad95

Reaction score
Good job on the swap! Def a must do mod! I got lucky on mine with no leaks on the first shot, I went with oem Ford gaskets on mine. Your build is heading same direction as mine. I went with longtubes as well, ARH, and just left the stock npi heads for now and did the intercooled vortech setup first. Calling the tuner again Monday so I can get this thing tuned drivable again

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DFG_magic

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Good job on the swap! Def a must do mod! I got lucky on mine with no leaks on the first shot, I went with oem Ford gaskets on mine. Your build is heading same direction as mine. I went with longtubes as well, ARH, and just left the stock npi heads for now and did the intercooled vortech setup first. Calling the tuner again Monday so I can get this thing tuned drivable again

Does it feel pretty good with the intercooled Vortech setup? Are you running the standard 98' GT kit? Custom kit? How much boost is it making?

1bad95

Reaction score
Hasn't hit the dyno yet to get tuned. Called my tuner today, waiting to hear back from him on a date to bring it. I think I'm gonna be around the 10lb area. I purchased a new v3 Si head unit and swapped out the 3.6 for a 3.3 pulley and did my own piping and a treadstone intercooler. Hoping to be in the upper 3 to maybe hit 400whp, but I dont think I will get there

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Following this thread and just wanted to say I love your vert. I miss my 98 a lot, it was a hardtop tho. I am planning on finding the nicest 96-98 vert I can that has a blown up engine or trans or both for cheap and drop a good driveline into it and DD the hell out of it. Car in my sig is going to be when I want to rotate the earth under the car.

Also yeah the intake can bit a PITA. Although I would keep a close eye on that crack. The plastic intakes have a service life and then they'll either break off at the back nipple or warp under the tstat. Why I would never buy a used one myself honestly.

OP
OP
DFG_magic

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Following this thread and just wanted to say I love your vert. I miss my 98 a lot, it was a hardtop tho. I am planning on finding the nicest 96-98 vert I can that has a blown up engine or trans or both for cheap and drop a good driveline into it and DD the hell out of it. Car in my sig is going to be when I want to rotate the earth under the car.

Also yeah the intake can bit a PITA. Although I would keep a close eye on that crack. The plastic intakes have a service life and then they'll either break off at the back nipple or warp under the tstat. Why I would never buy a used one myself honestly.

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I'm aware of the service life. I've definitely been keeping a close eye on the intake and so far, damn good. I already plan on purchasing a brand new FRPP piece when I bolt the blower to the car. Good luck with your search for a 96-98 vert! I was lucky enough on my search to find a clean 1 owner GA car for less than $2,000 that just needed some TLC. Of course, time, money, and hard work were added to the mix as well. I've probably got over 60 man hours of my own time in paint correction and misc. detail. Not to mention I'm the one turning the wrenches on my car as far as the mechanics are concerned. No one touches it but me. Goals are a 400hp street car on pump that I daily for the most part.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Ever consider going 4v? Its cheaper and easier than you'd think if your CL/JY skills are good.

AzzLyp

Reaction score
4v is definitely easy. I did it with the parts I got from my Mark viii and some cobra parts I traded for. Other than some wiring, it's pretty much a straight forward swap. I love my vert so much more after the swap too.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Yep it's stupid easy to do and going from a npi 2v to even a b head 4v is like adding 100hp or so. Also C heads are dirt cheap on 99-02 Continentals and being old ppl vehicles they are going to be gently used. Added bonus is the 99 models shared the 202 duration X3RE intake cams with the 99 Cobra. I'm actually trying to track down an adapter plate from a guy on the corral that lets you mount a rwd trans to a FWD conti motor and make more myself.

Anyway something for the OP to think about vs paying out the ass for ported PI or TFS head and $600 for aftermarket cams. I got a 99 Conti motor for $200. That is heads, coils, valve covers, COP covers and cams for free once you sell the crank and rods and pistons.

OP
OP
DFG_magic

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Yep it's stupid easy to do and going from a npi 2v to even a b head 4v is like adding 100hp or so. Also C heads are dirt cheap on 99-02 Continentals and being old ppl vehicles they are going to be gently used. Added bonus is the 99 models shared the 202 duration X3RE intake cams with the 99 Cobra. I'm actually trying to track down an adapter plate from a guy on the corral that lets you mount a rwd trans to a FWD conti motor and make more myself.

Anyway something for the OP to think about vs paying out the ass for ported PI or TFS head and $600 for aftermarket cams. I got a 99 Conti motor for $200. That is heads, coils, valve covers, COP covers and cams for free once you sell the crank and rods and pistons.

Didn't even cross my mind, but now you've got me thinking!!!

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Lots of bonuses to it. Heads that are free or damn near free that outflow TFS heads, good OEM cams are $200 at most, no more plastic intake. Will dyno in the 325 range with a good setup/bolt ons/tune and pull to 6800 easy.

I used to be a 2V proponent but after finding so much 4V stuff for next to nothing... Its much cheaper to make power with a 4V if you are doing a budget build. When you start getting into aftermarket stuff it all goes out the window.

1bad95

Reaction score
Just got my car back today from being tuned. Made 376hp/381tq @9lbs. Didn't have it done yet when you asked last week. Car pulls hard. Could wipe the smile off my face if you tried!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online