Bottom end assembly.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
What kind of tolerances am I looking for between wrist pins and the rod sleeves?

With 6 of my Manley forged rods the pins slide in nice and tight. One slides in easily and one slides in almost loosely. I'm concerned about the two looser ones. They're all factory used SVT rods. The two in question are from another motor. The 6 are from the same set. Should I get new sleeves pressed in??

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If youre questioning the used rods if they are good enough for your build....its totally up to you. You found a culprit thats unsettling to you. If it were me, id change them all but not before completely measuring them out. Iirc...im thinking wristpin to rod pin bearing clearance is max .0008" on a normal 4.6l rod. Yours are steel and could be different....not likely. ...but I dont know.....lol. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
If youre questioning the used rods if they are good enough for your build....its totally up to you. You found a culprit thats unsettling to you. If it were me, id change them all but not before completely measuring them out. Iirc...im thinking wristpin to rod pin bearing clearance is max .0008" on a normal 4.6l rod. Yours are steel and could be different....not likely. ...but I dont know.....lol. Hope this helps

Hah yea I know I'm kinda shooting in the dark asking a question like this. Only one of the rods I'd say is unsettling. I'm kind of on a budget now that I've compiled all the bottom end components. After some thought I figured I'd have the used rods checked out, magnafluxed and reconditioned. Just anxious to get building this thing. The six rods I know from one motor are very low mileage and the previous machine shop they were at said they were good to go. They had just gotten kinda hot... Like hot enough to turn them blue/purple on the pin end. Lol. Idk. It's an NA build so I'm thinking they'll be plenty strong enough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Staff online

Members online