Bottom end is toast - Need Guidance

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Found this over on MM...

As far as the blocks, I see next to no difference between the old Romeo Interceptor I pulled and my 03 Cobra motor. Of course everything other than the blocks is different.

Not sure if it was stated before, but the CR with 2v heads will be the same as a stock GT. -17/18cc dish means ~8.6:1 CR with 4v heads, and about 9.5:1 with 2v, same as a stock GT.

And is this about a shortblock or just the block? If it's just the block, well you've just got a run of the mill iron block that isn't special. If it's shortblock get 4v heads, come to the dark side.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Thats a pretty decent deal on the shortblock. Shipping would likely be $300-500 for residential delivery via a freight company.

Compression ratio is essentiallh stock (assuming thats the CR for 2v heads) so it shouldnt be a problem. You will need an 8 bolt flywheel though, it will work with the T45.

im not vey familiar with the speedpro pistons, they may be hypereutectic? If so, plan to throw them out and put a set of forged in.

OP
OP
F

Freefallin

Reaction score
Thats a pretty decent deal on the shortblock. Shipping would likely be $300-500 for residential delivery via a freight company.

Compression ratio is essentiallh stock (assuming thats the CR for 2v heads) so it shouldnt be a problem. You will need an 8 bolt flywheel though, it will work with the T45.

im not vey familiar with the speedpro pistons, they may be hypereutectic? If so, plan to throw them out and put a set of forged in.

Dude just replied saying pistons are forged. I think this is a pretty damn good deal, minues the fact that I am not losing weight compared to Teksid...

Sean

Reaction score
This!

for my build im planning on an aluminator block (ive got a 3v) with one of MMR's 1500SE rotating assemblies. I'm a cheap ass, so i'll be sending it off for machine work and assembling it myself. Lol

Only partially a cheap ass, I would rather want to assemble myself but I get a satisfaction when doing work on my car. That's why nearly everything done on my car is self done excluding the welding for my exhaust and gear install

Reaction score
Thanks for the outstanding replies boys. I am in Portland, Oregon.

Here are the specs on the short block over on Modded:
-03 Cobra Block bored .20" over
-SpeedPro piston @ 9.5:1 - Is this going to work compression-wise with my heads and S Trim?
-Manley Rods
-Cobra 8-bolt crank - Will I need an 8-bolt flywheel and will my T-45 work with this?
-ARP 8750 bolt and studs
*All work done at a shop called Pony Stop in Reseda, CA back in late 2014, motor never been installed or ran*

He is asking $1800+shipping to me in Oregon. Anyone know how much it would run to ship to a residential address in Portland, OR for this thing? He said it's cheaper to ship to a business but I have no clue how I would get it home if it were shipped to a business....

Sorry for the ignorance here guys, but please let me know if this setup might work for me.

EDIT: I have a line on a Teksid block for $150 a few hours from my house. 130k miles all stock. I am thinking even though that's cheap, the machine work, forged rotating assembly and labor to install would be more than this other short block. Thoughts appreciated here gents.

Sean

DO IT.

also how is the Portland weather on your stang? I plan to move to Portland in a few years. Will be up there in July too on business, I'm bringing my stang with me though so maybe we could meet up for a hot second

Reaction score
:dancing-trooper:Sean I hope you know what this means, this thread will now become your build thread which means we will need pics or therefore it didn't happen

Royal96

Reaction score
The best Ford tuner in my area just said MMR stuff is garbage and flat out said he will not tune the car if I throw an MMR in it...I haven't heard much if any bad info on it.

Thomas, is it worth it to send my short block to a machinist and build the rotating assembly with something like the kit I linked?

Sean

Probably because when their junk blows up on the dyno, they always default to blaming the tuner. If I were a tuner, I'd refuse as well.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Can we all stay focused away from bashing said company. Lets focus on leading the OP in a good direction.

I totally agree with alerting others about sub - quality companies, but let us not push an entire thread about it. Lets keep this entire forum focus in leadership aspects, positive direction and lead the OP.

Royal96

Reaction score
Can we all stay focused away from bashing said company. Lets focus on leading the OP in a good direction.

I totally agree with alerting others about sub - quality companies, but let us not push an entire thread about it. Lets keep this entire forum focus in leadership aspects, positive direction and lead the OP.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't particularly trying to bash, was legitimately explaining why his tuner would refuse to tune it. I also hadn't refreshed the page and didn't see that he had a line on a good block.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
And I wasnt solely remarking on your post either my man! I just figured before it snowballs out of control, lets view positive for the OP and anyone else lurking.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
This!

for my build im planning on an aluminator block (ive got a 3v) with one of MMR's 1500SE rotating assemblies. I'm a cheap ass, so i'll be sending it off for machine work and assembling it myself. Lol

You think YOU'RE a cheap ass... that WAP block I got .020 torque plate bored/line honed and ready to go for $300. I mean I got the block like that for $300 including the block, not the work. Getting receipts from the original owner/builder this Sunday but already confirmed with him what was done to it.

Reaction score
You think YOU'RE a cheap ass... that WAP block I got .020 torque plate bored/line honed and ready to go for $300. I mean I got the block like that for $300 including the block, not the work. Getting receipts from the original owner/builder this Sunday but already confirmed with him what was done to it.

that just sounds like a phenomenal deal to me hahah

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Thanks for the outstanding replies boys. I am in Portland, Oregon.

Here are the specs on the short block over on Modded:
-03 Cobra Block bored .20" over
-SpeedPro piston @ 9.5:1 - Is this going to work compression-wise with my heads and S Trim?
-Manley Rods
-Cobra 8-bolt crank - Will I need an 8-bolt flywheel and will my T-45 work with this?
-ARP 8750 bolt and studs
*All work done at a shop called Pony Stop in Reseda, CA back in late 2014, motor never been installed or ran*

He is asking $1800+shipping to me in Oregon. Anyone know how much it would run to ship to a residential address in Portland, OR for this thing? He said it's cheaper to ship to a business but I have no clue how I would get it home if it were shipped to a business....

Sorry for the ignorance here guys, but please let me know if this setup might work for me.

EDIT: I have a line on a Teksid block for $150 a few hours from my house. 130k miles all stock. I am thinking even though that's cheap, the machine work, forged rotating assembly and labor to install would be more than this other short block. Thoughts appreciated here gents.

Sean

-Cobra block is just a Romeo block but that's not an issue except for the extra 75lbs on the nose.
-Find out exactly what model pistons they are. If they are not forged then no no.
-Manley rods, likely the original Cobra rods, fine there
-8 bolt crank=8 bolt flywheel, just use a Coyote flywheel, the are the same. You'll need to change the dowel pins out for the ones in your current flywheel tho. 5 minutes with a punch. T45 will work fine, has nothing to do with your crank and flywheel and everything to do with the bolt pattern on the block.
-ARP 8740s, these are the lower end ARP studs but still totally fine

You get it home like this

Take a cherry picker with you, you'll need one anyway. Yes a pickup would work better, I like to be able to move shit in the rain.

Probably going to be $300-$500 to ship to your door, try R&L Carriers and see if they service your part of the country.

I'd still be extremely leery of buying someone else's second hand build tho...

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
you uh...you should let me know when you go part hunting...

I got this Mark motor for free...

I'm kinda gloating a little... but more to the point... deals are out there. I am picking up a pair of 99/01 C heads and cams for $100 tomorrow. Just have to live in a very populated area and know where to look.

Reaction score
I got this Mark motor for free...

I'm kinda gloating a little... but more to the point... deals are out there. I am picking up a pair of 99/01 C heads and cams for $100 tomorrow. Just have to live in a very populated area and know where to look.
:gasp::lewx4::poker:
...this isnt funny...you sir...now have a target placed on yourself. now whenever i need parts im going straight to you

:pedobear::derp:

Thomas_W

Reaction score

Nice man! That is a hell of a good deal.

9 years ago, i picked up a Brand new FRPP aluminum block for $500 with a MPH prepped cryo-treated cobra crank ready for 1500hp. That was the deal of a lifetime as the crank was worth $1500 and the block another $1500.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
The Steeda car in my sig... 34k original miles. Paid $5500. Car has a $43k build sheet from Steeda.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online