Bought 99 gt for my son will not crank

DoctorOldsmobile

Reaction score
I recently purchased 99 gt for my son. We only had this car 5 days. He drove car to school today left the lights on ran battery down so it will not crank when he gets out of school. So i took him a new battery installed it still wouldn't crank. When i hooked up the new battery up the alarm wouldn't stop going off until you hit the unlock button on the fob. Now the theft light keeps flashing. But the car acted like it was out of gas. So i put gas in it still nothing. I don't know anything about fuel injection. Im lost any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alarm system has a starter kill relay. It will keep it from cranking. By theft light, do you mean the led they installed for the aftermarket alarm or are you talking about the factory anti theft light on the gauge cluster?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DoctorOldsmobile

Reaction score
Alarm system has a starter kill relay. It will keep it from cranking. By theft light, do you mean the led they installed for the aftermarket alarm or are you talking about the factory anti theft light on the gauge cluster?!?

The factory one in gauge cluster

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If it’s now cranking but not starting and the dash light is blinking then it’s a Pats issue.

07GtS197

Reaction score
When it continually flashes like that its because the pats module detects a problem in the system, ie. the antenna is broken, non chip key or unprogrammed key is trying to be used etc.

The only things Ive read from a quick google search is the antenna in the steering column being at fault and try cycling the locks a few times, insert the key and move it to acc and wait 10 seconds for pats to prove out. In other words, give the pats module a few seconds to read the key.

OP
OP
D

DoctorOldsmobile

Reaction score
Thanks ill try that. This happened at his high school. I hope its something simple so i can get it home.

OP
OP
D

DoctorOldsmobile

Reaction score
Ok i tried it and still a no go. The theft light slowed down and eventually stopped but it still wouldn't hit a lick. After the theft light stopped and i tried it again it would start back flashing fast. Now there is a loud buzzing coming from the passenger side around the mass air meter. It almost sounds like its inside the fender. Kinda like an aftermarket electric fuel pump. Its really loud.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Is the mileage showing correct or is it all dashes? The ccrm is in that area, perhaps it was damaged somehow.

OP
OP
D

DoctorOldsmobile

Reaction score
I think it showing the correct mileage. But im not completely sure. Its still sitting at his school. I had to come home.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im willing to bet its the ccrm then if its making noises from the passenger side fender. It wont start if something in it is damaged or removed. Do you have access to a scanner? I hate to say itbut youre probably going to have to have it towed somewhere. If you do take it home we can help you fix it.

I had a relay in the ccrm of my 02 gt burn up and the dealer thought they fixed it. I had to pull it and solder a new relay in there myself.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would start with the pats problem, get the security light to shut off and then see if the buzzing is still happening. As mentioned the most common problems are the antenna ring in the column. You can replace it or if you have thought about a tuner you can turn pats off with a tuner, but I think you have to have the security light off before you can do that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.