Brake caliper paints

Reaction score
Where is the best place to get some brake caliper paints? I would like red to match my car but I am sure they don't make a rio red in high temp. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
If you want paint matched, I'm sure a body shop would mix you up the color you'd need.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
autoparts stores would be where I would start. If they don't maybe there is something online or else like he said some body shops will mix something for you but that could end up costing as much as if you got them powdered depending on the paint and how bad they gouge you at the store. Powder is another option and I really don't think that for the price vs how long it lasts that its a bad deal. Try calling some local places and they can give you an estimate and then you can probably find something close to match the paint.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ineedav8 have you had a chance to use polish on that paint yet? Im curious how the paint will react. The bronze metallic didnt do so well and thats when I gave up on Rustoleum. I did want to try the hammered, just didnt happen. I do like the look though.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Another option if you want to try to paint-match is this: [Disclaimer: while I have done this, I have not actually driven the car yet, so I can't confirm how well it will hold up at this point]

Go to Auto Zone or equivalent, and buy a can of touch up paint in the color you want; if they don't have it, then go to automotivetouchup.com and buy a can of your paint color (they are a little pricey but the paint is good).

While at Auto Zone, also pick up really high heat paint, I don't remember what I got off the top of my head, but there will be some really high-temp resistant stuff there. Grab a primer. Also grab a gloss. I think I did a high heat gloss, but I'm not sure it matters.

Clean your brake calipers. Mask off whatever you need to. Spray on the high heat primer. Do a couple of light coats, then a good heavy-ish coat. Get good coverage. When that dries, spray on your paint-matched color. Again, light coats, followed by a heavy-ish final coat. Get good coverage. Lastly, when that dries, spray on your gloss. A couple light coats, followed by a heavy-ish final coat. Good coverage. On the final heavy-ish coats, don't go too heavy or you will get runs. So just be careful there. Then wait for the whole thing to dry a little, remove the masking before it's completely dry, and then wait for it to completely dry.

The thought is that the high heat primer will protect your paint-matched color (which wasn't really designed for something that gets as hot as brake calipers can). And the gloss is to keep them looking nice and discourage brake dust and dirt from sticking to them.

I have painted my rear calipers like this, though I have not driven the car yet. So I cannot as yet speak to the durability of this approach. Sounds like it should work though...

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Ineedav8 have you had a chance to use polish on that paint yet? Im curious how the paint will react. The bronze metallic didnt do so well and thats when I gave up on Rustoleum. I did want to try the hammered, just didnt happen. I do like the look though.
No real need to for what i used it but if your interested in how polishing rustoelom goes my friend sprayed his car with it lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online