Brake caliper removal/reinstallation

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve decided to have the front brake calipers blasted and powder coated. I’m just doing the fronts first for 2 reasons:
1. I’m not confident that I, working alone, can safely get the car up on 4 independent jack stands. I know it can be done and I’ve done it before, but… it Just makes me nervous to do without someone else around; and
2. I want to see/compare the fronts vs the rear finish and see if they match. The rear calipers are fairly new, so I may not need to spend the money.

That all said, before I start wrenching on the caliper bolts and brake lines, what do I need to know about the removal and reinstallation process?

Many thanks!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I never have had a helper to raise/lower my car. It helps that with subframe connectors and a low profile jack that I can do either side one at a time but if you take your time and make sure everything is lined up it just takes longer. Removing the calipers is no big deal but once removed you will need to disassemble them to have them done. There is a special tool needed for the rears but you can get it from vatozone. Reinstalling/bleeding the system you will need a helper or tools to do it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cool. Thx again, Scott. I’m now going around each hub, inspecting. Everything looks pretty solid(dirty, which can be remedied, but solid!) I am presently cleaning the threads on the 4 caliper bolts. Finding what I think looks like old red thread locker. Is red (or blue) a good idea on these bolts? Or none at all? I have a small jar of NAPA thread sealant with Teflon. I suspect that’d be a better alternative?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
7B6D96ED-33F3-4989-B693-418A5ECAF8D4.jpeg49F64B39-A292-4CE7-9906-4CCD697DCFBE.jpegLittle clean up while access is easy!

95opal

Reaction score
Cool. Thx again, Scott. I’m now going around each hub, inspecting. Everything looks pretty solid(dirty, which can be remedied, but solid!) I am presently cleaning the threads on the 4 caliper bolts. Finding what I think looks like old red thread locker. Is red (or blue) a good idea on these bolts? Or none at all? I have a small jar of NAPA thread sealant with Teflon. I suspect that’d be a better alternative?
Anti seize is what you want on the caliper bolts if you ever plan on changing pads in the future.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anti seize is what you want on the caliper bolts if you ever plan on changing pads in the future.
Gotcha! I have a tube of that, too.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Little delay at the powder coater. Seems they had a time getting the pistons out. I went by to see what’s up. Watched them use the air compressor to little avail. Then used a flathead and a channel lock wrench to try and bump them out. Finally got the first one, so I left them to it.
But I’m thinking they shouldn’t have been THAT difficult to get out . Why are they so stuck? And does this affect their functionality? Do they need replacing? Or surfacing? Would have to be a super minute amount to reseat them properly I would imagine.
Anything I should consider here?

thanks!

P.S.- yes, I got all new seals front and rear.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just got them back. They look great! Turns out the place that did them does the powder coat for Vortec super chargers, also in Oxnard, CA. ECEDCA6B-2A7D-4290-A571-6DF337F8E6F9.jpeg
And, the owner is such a stand up guy he knocked $50 off the $200 for being a day late.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any tricks or heads up for the reinstallation? Bleeding the lines?, etc
I may have to do it by myself, so isn’t there a kit that allows you to do this?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can get a power bleeder or do a youtube search and there is a video to show how to use a bottle with fluid in it at the end of the line to help bleed it by yourself.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you can get a power bleeder or do a youtube search and there is a video to show how to use a bottle with fluid in it at the end of the line to help bleed it by yourself.
Saw that actually! Found a $20 unit at Harbor Freight I’m gonna pounce on

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
Right rear. One down, 3 to go!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg
buttoned up and bled, including new copper washers all around. Now this nervous owner gonna see if it stops! Yikes…

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nope! Nothing. Nil. Naught. Zilch!
Back to the bleeding’…. :)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your using the power bleeder I found if I pinched the hose a little on/off while holding down the trigger it helped to build just a little more pressure and helped to get a few more bubbles out.

joe65

Reaction score
looks good. clean Cali car! By the way, my family lived in Oxnard a ways back. I miss that area. I used to come home from my internship in Ventura and ride my bike out to the beach every night.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Looks good, The phenolic pistons get stuck pretty often in the PBR calipers not sure if its the same for the Cobra calipers. I have a set I am about to get Powder coated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online