Brake fluid going in with the oil?

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by monkeydude3, Nov 17, 2006.

1. monkeydude3

monkeydude3 Active Member

Well as some of you may know, my valve guide seals are shot. I'm planning a full engine teardown (or replacement) but I am looking for some ways to slow down the blue smoke for the few times I drive it right now. It's a 1997 GT with 115000 miles on it (all that's left to fix is the engine.)

Tomorrow I plan on changing the oil (needs it anyway) and putting in 10w40 valvoline regular oil. I also have a bottle of the valvoline treatment to go as well.

I've been told by a friend who is good friends with a Subaru technician, that if you add a pint (small bottle) of brake fluid to the oil when you change it, it will drastically reduce how my oil gets by the valve seals. Since it's a petroleum based product, I can't see the harm. And brake fluid makes seals swell, so in theory this should work.

My friend tells me he's positive it won't hurt anything.

I want to know what you guys think and if anyone has heard of doing such a thing!

If nothing else, I'l just do the oil and additive (and of course new filter)

George

2. 96gt226410

96gt226410 Active Member

I've heard of tranny fluid in with oil, but brake fluid? I wouldn't do it unless you have a new engine to put in already.

3. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

usually putting any type of "additive" in your oil is bad.

4. monkeydude3

monkeydude3 Active Member

Okay, I've heard good and bad things. I've also asked around at work and it's just a quick temporariy fix. So 10/40 and oil treatment it is

Thanks