Brake fluid going in with the oil?

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Well as some of you may know, my valve guide seals are shot. I'm planning a full engine teardown (or replacement) but I am looking for some ways to slow down the blue smoke for the few times I drive it right now. It's a 1997 GT with 115000 miles on it (all that's left to fix is the engine.)

Tomorrow I plan on changing the oil (needs it anyway) and putting in 10w40 valvoline regular oil. I also have a bottle of the valvoline treatment to go as well.

I've been told by a friend who is good friends with a Subaru technician, that if you add a pint (small bottle) of brake fluid to the oil when you change it, it will drastically reduce how my oil gets by the valve seals. Since it's a petroleum based product, I can't see the harm. And brake fluid makes seals swell, so in theory this should work.

My friend tells me he's positive it won't hurt anything.

I want to know what you guys think and if anyone has heard of doing such a thing!

If nothing else, I'l just do the oil and additive (and of course new filter)

George

96gt226410

Reaction score
I've heard of tranny fluid in with oil, but brake fluid? I wouldn't do it unless you have a new engine to put in already.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Okay, I've heard good and bad things. I've also asked around at work and it's just a quick temporariy fix. So 10/40 and oil treatment it is

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online