Brake issue 98 cobra

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Im having hard time figuring this one out.. The cobra is wearing out the rear driver side out side pad faster than the inside one. It also wears at an angle. top wears faster than the bottom of the pad. I replaced caliper twice, new rubber hose, new slide pins and clips. I can hear a squeak like the pad keeps touching the rotor. . Im going to try swaping the caliper brackets with the gt bracket from my spare 8.8.. if that doesn't help maybe the axle. . Yo guys have any other suggestions?

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

RichV

Reaction score
Sounds like an alignment issue.

It will either be the caliper bracket, backing plate, or hardware. Something is not aligned right.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I don't have a spare backing plate so I'm screwed if that is it.

RichV

Reaction score
You can shim it, depending on where it needs to go. However, I have no clue on how to tell for sure. Depending on how it wears, you can try to shim the direction of offset. You need to shim the caliper bracket, my Wilwood front setup has shims to get it in check if needed.

Never heard of a stock setup needing them. Was the car in a accident on that side maybe?

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware off. Clean car fax. Not that it really matters. .
I had a pic but accidentally deleted it.The top was completely gone the bottom had about a 1/4 left. The top was so bad it was actually rubbing on the pad backing. Tore up the rotor pretty bad..

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Swapped caliper bracket. Same issue.. I have a spare 8.8 from when I did my irs swap on the gt prob going to swap them out till I get this figured out.

SVT CAMR

Reaction score
Do you guys think the axel is bent? Or housing tube bent? Axel bearings?

I have heard of shimming the rear caliper to center it but you describe something wearing at an angle!!!!! NEVER heard of this on any car.

Idea why not just swap out the the other rear-end.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I think it's possible but I don't see any irregular wear on the tire. I'm might swap over to the gt 8.8.. I'm going to see if I can get the axe l tubes welded first..

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Just raised the rear end off the ground turned it by hand. I can head scraping but only half the turn the other half no scraping and a little less resistance too.. I'm leaning to a bent axle..

Win

Legend
Reaction score
You say new rubber hose. The full hose on the SRA ?

Usually the the problem your describing is everything you addressed. How is the surface on your face? It could cause uneven alignment and cause a problem with everything you do.

OP
OP
rz5.0

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Finally swapped axles. The squeaking is gone. We'll see if the pads wear even now. .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online