Brake issue when parked

joemomma

Reaction score
So, I think I know what the issue is, but would like some clarification before I go chasing my tail. For reference, car is a '94GT, 5-sp.

When I'm parked, and I go to start the car, as soon as I push the clutch in, the car starts rolling if I'm on any sort of incline. The brakes don't hold it at all (my ebrake doesn't hold for nothing either, but that's another issue). I'm guessing I have a vacuum leak somewhere? I would think the car could maintain vacuum enough to at least give me some brakes, for example like when I leave at lunch, there should still be enough pressure in the system to keep the car from rolling shouldn't there? I'm not talking about a huge incline, either. It's the parking lot at work. Just sloped enough for runoff. Pedal is fairly stiff, but as soon as the car starts it gets "soft" and the brakes immediately have pressure.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ebrake has nothing to do with vac it is cable operated. If it is not working I would start by checking/replacing the pads and give a good inspection. If the stock brake booster is there its more than likely rusting on the bottom and needing to be changed but that will not fix the parking brakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
ebrake has nothing to do with vac it is cable operated. If it is not working I would start by checking/replacing the pads and give a good inspection. If the stock brake booster is there its more than likely rusting on the bottom and needing to be changed but that will not fix the parking brakes.

Right - the ebrake is another issue altogether. I'm guessing my cable isn't adjusted properly, as it holds somewhat, just not enough. My main question is around the brakes themselves - shouldn't they hold enough (on their own without the ebrake) with the car off that it won't roll when I push the clutch in?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes you should be able to stop your car with either of the two. Like any troubleshooting start simple and check the parts that are made to be replaced and checked easily and if they look good, or if replacing them makes no difference then move down the line. There is a very good chance the brake booster needs to be replaced if it has not but I would not start there.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Right on, good points. I'll check pads/rotors when I get some time. Honestly, with the age of the car, I'd like to do a smoke test and look for vacuum leaks when I'm able. I feel pretty certain that some of those old lines are shot.

Connie

Reaction score
Right - the ebrake is another issue altogether. I'm guessing my cable isn't adjusted properly, as it holds somewhat, just not enough. My main question is around the brakes themselves - shouldn't they hold enough (on their own without the ebrake) with the car off that it won't roll when I push the clutch in?
How HIGH does the Handle pull up with the Ebrake? It shouldn't need to be pulled up too much. I'm guessing about 4-6 inches above the Console at the most. I hope the Caliper Pistons aren't froze up either. Bob

TrickVert

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but after a couple of hours, and with the engine still off, there will be no residual vacuum in the system, and you'd be relying purely on the hydraulics of the brake system to hold the car, and whether or not the booster or lines are leaking would have nothing to do with what you're experiencing. You're not, by some chance, expecting that the brakes will hold the car without pressing on the brake pedal are you?

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$. In this day of automatic parking brakes and hill-hold assist systems, one never knows what someone is expecting.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but after a couple of hours, and with the engine still off, there will be no residual vacuum in the system, and you'd be relying purely on the hydraulics of the brake system to hold the car, and whether or not the booster or lines are leaking would have nothing to do with what you're experiencing. You're not, by some chance, expecting that the brakes will hold the car without pressing on the brake pedal are you?

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$. In this day of automatic parking brakes and hill-hold assist systems, one never knows what someone is expecting.

LOL not taken that way at all! Nope, process is foot on brake, clutch in, and start. All the past vehicles I've owned, have had enough pressure in the system to hold the car with the clutch in. I will say that the brake pedal is quite firm before the car starts, then softens to a "normal" feel once running.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Everything you're mentioning sounds normal to me unless you absolutely can't stop or hold the car without vacuum assist. It will take more pressure, but the brakes should still work.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
LOL maybe I'm just being a wuss! I'll mess with it more this weekend. I'll need to wash the car anyway since I got caught out in the rain in it one day this week.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Small update - last couple of times I've driven the car, I've "stood" on the brakes while parking, and it didn't move. Turns out maybe I'm just a wuss. I still need to investigate the parking brake adjustment, but that's for another day.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Agreed. I'll get into them once we get moved and settled in to the new place next month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010