Brake Line Impressions

robb15033

Reaction score
~Looking for confirmation of recieving more enjoyable stopping power~
I just bought some new Mustang toys to complete the brake job project. I already have the Brembo kit with rotors & HPS pads.
Today I got some brake lines. And I wanted to hear your impression of any difference in performance, daily driving, & spirited track braking once stainless steel brake lines were installed.
I will have new rotors, pads, Motorcraft DOT3 flush, and these accessories: Am I missing anything to do the brake job?

30013 - J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Rear Differential Line (87-98 V8)http://www.americanmuscle.com/87-98-rear-diff-hose.html
30018 - J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines - Front (94-98 Cobra)http://www.americanmuscle.com/9498-cobra-brake-lines.html
30011 - J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines - Rear (96-98 GT, Cobra)http://www.americanmuscle.com/9698-stainless-rear-brake-lines.html
2100911 - Front Disc Brake Hardware Kit (94-04 Cobra, Bullitt, Mac)h 1http://www.americanmuscle.com/front-disc-brake-hardware-9404cobra.html
100914 - Rear Disc Brake Hardware Kit (94-04 All)http://www.americanmuscle.com/rear-disc-brake-hardware-9404.html
LINK-1979-14 MUSTANG BRAKE CALIPER

**Why is it, I do not read about many Mustang owners replacing the "Rear Differential Line" in addition to the front brake lines, or even the rears?
Thanks,
-Robb

RichV

Reaction score
I think you're all set. Only thing I'd do different is the fluid. I would just use a over the counter Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic because of cost and knowing this fluid was used in my race cars for many years. Make sure you do a 100% flush of ALL the old fluid, it takes a little while with ABS.

I'm not sure what calipers you're using, or what car (year/model) this is for but make sure the braided lines are for your front/rear calipers. Specially if you're going with a Brembo caliper.

On the axle line, the set I bought came with the axle line. So I didn't have to look into it. I take it most sets come with the (f or r) 2 lines only?? You definitely want to do all 5 lines.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I think you're all set. Only thing I'd do different is the fluid. I would just use a over the counter Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic because of cost and knowing this fluid was used in my race cars for many years. Make sure you do a 100% flush of ALL the old fluid, it takes a little while with ABS.

I'm not sure what calipers you're using, or what car (year/model) this is for but make sure the braided lines are for your front/rear calipers. Specially if you're going with a Brembo caliper.

On the axle line, the set I bought came with the axle line. So I didn't have to look into it. I take it most sets come with the (f or r) 2 lines only?? You definitely want to do all 5 lines.

i agree with the Valvoline syn also. If you don't go with that I've also used Motul Blue and loved it.

I think adding a SS line or even just new lines to these cars will make a good difference not only for safety but performance aspect.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have SS lines on all 5 spots - I think the diff one isn't mentioned often because it's hard to get to and hard to replace. For a car that's driven on the street, it's probably overkill. I upgraded to Cobra brakes at the same time I did the lines, so I can't speak to differences there. But to be frank, I don't think you'll really notice much of a difference. If your lines are old rubber, then maybe so. If they are new rubber, probably not. On the track you might notice a little increased feel, but I think calipers/rotors/pads and possible Master Cylinder/Bias will have more impact on the feel, the lines will have a much smaller, secondary impact.

For what it's worth, I replaced the stock rubber lines on my STI with SS ones. Didn't really notice a difference if I'm being honest. Maybe I have a hamfoot, and am insensitive to it. But I think there's a lot more to be gained in feel and performance by focusing on other things that I mentioned. To me, lines are kind of the "last thing to do after everything else." However, it's easy and convenient to do at the same time as calipers. Now, for safety, I'll put SS lines on all day...

I'll be curious to see if you notice a difference at all, since you are putting lines on after the brakes.

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
Thanks for answering all my questions, some had me perplexed, like the differential line replacement not sold as often, no comments on why it does, how it plays back to your foot expeerience.
I have purchased stock OEM sized Brembo package w/ rotors and and calipers that serve 94-04 Cobra, Mach1, Bullitt.
I'm flushing with Motorcraft DOT3 because it should be an excellent performer flushed, fresh, matched with some nice parts.
I bought 4 12oz bottles. Enough to flush? Are self bleeders a tool that comes in handy enough to prchace one?
Tahk you everyone for taking the time to help me start up right patyh.
-Robb

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and I use ATE brake fluid at the moment.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for answering all my questions, some had me perplexed, like the differential line replacement not sold as often, no comments on why it does, how it plays back to your foot expeerience.
I have purchased stock OEM sized Brembo package w/ rotors and and calipers that serve 94-04 Cobra, Mach1, Bullitt.
I'm flushing with Motorcraft DOT3 because it should be an excellent performer flushed, fresh, matched with some nice parts.
I bought 4 12oz bottles. Enough to flush? Are self bleeders a tool that comes in handy enough to prchace one?
Tahk you everyone for taking the time to help me start up right patyh.
-Robb

4 bottles should get you through just fine.

I wouldnt worry about speed bleeders or self bleeders.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For brake bleeding, I highly recommend a Motive Power Bleeder. Makes bleeding and flushing a pretty simple task. I don't use speed bleeders or anything. I can bleed/flush by myself with the power bleeder.

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
For brake bleeding, I highly recommend a Motive Power Bleeder. Makes bleeding and flushing a pretty simple task. I don't use speed bleeders or anything. I can bleed/flush by myself with the power bleeder.
OK. Thanks.

RichV

Reaction score
Best and easiest bleed I ever did was a gravity bleed. Took a week, but it was effortless. :)

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^Lol. "I just picked the car up, and shook it until all the brake fluid came out."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online