Brake pull but calipers not sticking

98GTAZ

Reaction score
New to the forum as a registered user, but have consulted the threads a lot. I know brake pulling/caliper issues have been discussed, but I have a brake pull that does not seem caused by a caliper.

I upgraded my 98 GT to Cobra brakes and now have a pull to the driver side. Calipers, hoses, and rotors were new from upgrade. Also replaced inner and outer tie rods on both sides snd upgraded front sway bar.

I have tested the calipers and hoses. I had both front tires off the ground. Wheels spin freely when brakes are off and are solidly braked when brake is applied. Hoses flow fluid well. Took wheels off and inspected rotors and pads with both showing no signs of uneven wear or other issues. Caliper pistons move freely.

Are there other suspension or tire issues that can cause a pull while braking?

The pull is not severe and there are no noises or burning/other smells associated with it. It is also not noticeable at highway speeds when braking from 65 to 45 for example. Most noticed under 40 mph and particularly noticeable when going from 10 mph to a full stop.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
get one of those infrared thermometers and do a couple of stops and then measure the disc temps and you can narrow down if its the front/rear.

OP
OP
98GTAZ

98GTAZ

Reaction score
slide pins are good. They move freely and are well greased. I am truly stumped since it acts like a stuck caliper but the caliper isn’t stuck

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I could just be a bad bushing causing that side to dip and pull more. Has anything been done to the suspension?

OP
OP
98GTAZ

98GTAZ

Reaction score
Inner and outer tie rods were replaced when I did the brakes. New hubs too. Also upgraded the front sway bar to a QA1. Ball joints were not done but seemed ok.

Could it be an issue with sway bar end link adjustment or the ball joints?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not a suspension expert but I would think that if there is a little play in the front or even in the rear that a tap on the pedal could cause it to load the suspension unevenly and cause it to pull. If the rear control arms are stock still using the original bushings they are due to be replaced.

OP
OP
98GTAZ

98GTAZ

Reaction score
Solved! Turns out it was a bad driver’s side ball joint. The ball joints kept passing the tire pull test, but I decided to replace them anyway. Both looked OK from the outside. When I got the driver’s side disassembled it became obvious the ball joint was bad. Replaced both ball joints and the pull disappeared.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online