Brake Recommendations

Ballistic

Reaction score
Thinking about upgrading the front brakes on my 97' Mustang GT and looking for Recommendations and help.

Thinking Brembo, maybe Wilwood..

Brembo GT500 kit seems pretty popular

I really want all black rotors like the ones below. Will brembo calipers work with wilwood rotors or does wilwood even make all black rotors for our cars?

9aQLjQu.png

Then what Stainless Brake Hoses to get or custom? Brake pads? and everything else ill need to complete the front.

I have 18" wheels +25mm offset in the front. Daily driven for now later comes a coyote swap.
zXFDKgW.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
I went to the 99 04 pbrs for my first upgrade. They were better than the stock single piston gt but not by much. I'm currently running 13in cobra style rotors and caliper and it's a HUGE difference. I'm eventually going with the wilwood superlite 6p system with 14in rotors but not for awhile. I also upgraded my brake hoses to MM SS ones when I did the pbr upgrade. I've read that you can't tell much of a difference between rubber and the SS, but I would rather have SS due to the fact that they will last longer

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I too am looking to upgrade shortly but want front and rear brakes. I liked wilwoods and brembos front brakes but their rear set up I was wanting more so that led me to baer. I would not be expected to be disappointed by any of the three up front but again if your wanting to do a bigger rear set up the choices are limited.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] and a lot of the more regular racers go with the wilwood setup because you can easily order their calipers individually, and pads are easy to find as well.

I don't have any answers on the black rotor thing. No idea.

And you will notice he difference between stainless and rubber lines if you are doing a lot of braking, EG on a race track. The rubber lines swell and don't produce as much pressure, so you end up not braking as much for the same amount of input as when the lines were cool and not swollen.

Stainless lines prevent that to a much higher degree. As a daily driver, you won't notice that very much unless you live in the mountains, on track, you will definitely notice it.

RichV

Reaction score
If you can actually drive hard for 5-10 minutes with max braking, acceleration, turning, et., you'll feel a big difference with a brake upgrade.

With that being said, I competed with 99-04 GT brake setup (4 corners) wit brake coolers and Carbotech race pads. Races from 15-45 minutes and tracks that were very HARD on brakes. And they did fine. Setup and balance is important. My driver has stock 95 GT brakes and I don't have any issues in the real world environment stopping.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I am on the same page as Ttocs. I am torn between Baer and Wilwood. Baer because i can get a front-to-rear brake balanced kit and custom powder coat job, but at about $1000 more than Wilwood. Also, Baer's service is excellent, Wilwood, not so much. Both brands have a large range of pads to chose from. Also, if you are thinking of racing, Wiwood's kits are lighter than baer. I am actually going to post all my finding on my thread if anyone is interested in those specs.

Ttocs, the brake balanced Baer kit is the SS+ kit in the rear with 13" rotors, and the Pro+ kit up front with the 14" rotors. matched with the 1 1/8" MC.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
maybe if there is enough of us looking....... I made a trip an hour north tonight to see the end of the cars and cones tour at ridetechs headquarters and baer had some displays. Damn damn damn

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
I think I'm going to have my parts guy at ford see if he can price out the Brembo Calipers just to see how cheap i can get them for. Should be fine if they were on the GT500s, but if its not a whole lot more i might as well look 6 pistons...

95opal

Reaction score
Thinking about upgrading the front brakes on my 97' Mustang GT and looking for Recommendations and help.

Thinking Brembo, maybe Wilwood..

Brembo GT500 kit seems pretty popular

I really want all black rotors like the ones below. Will brembo calipers work with wilwood rotors or does wilwood even make all black rotors for our cars?

9aQLjQu.png

Then what Stainless Brake Hoses to get or custom? Brake pads? and everything else ill need to complete the front.

I have 18" wheels +25mm offset in the front. Daily driven for now later comes a coyote swap.
zXFDKgW.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Ive never seen a solid black rotor. The pic of the wildwood rotor you posted is when its brand new. The minute you hit the brakes the black coating is worn away and it will only be black in the dimples or slots. I have there 14' 6 piston set up up front and there 13" 4 piston set up out back. JFYI there standard 94-04 rear is a single piston set up. I Have a custom narrowed rear with the correct brake offset so that I could get a 4 piston set up out back. ttocs found some bear 4 piston set up to work with the 94-04 rears might want to ask him about those set ups.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Here's the setup I'm about to put on the new build, 2015 Mustang calipers w/ 14" S197 rotors

2015 Mustang 4 Piston Calipers (Similar to Brembos)
2x at 144.01 ea (if you include core charge, $94.01 ea. if you don't) $288.02
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/fr3z2b121a
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-ford/fr3z2b120a

Pad retainer Kit 2x at $10.29 ea = $20.58
http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/mustang/fr3z2068b/

Hawk Brake Pads (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Hawk-Brake-Pads-GT500-Mustang-front-P1320.aspx) – $137.47
Cobra brake lines (http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Stainless-Brake-Hose-Kit-1994-04-Mustang-front-P686.aspx) – $84.95

StopTech Slotted 14″ GT500 rotor (http://www.amazon.com/StopTech-126-61089SL-Sport-Rotors/dp/B003K1B230/) – 2x @ $96.77 = $193.54
And of course the FTR kit here, http://www.fullytorquedracing.com/sn95-gt500-brembo-brake-kit.html, $404.99 after forum discount.

Grand Total: $1,129.55

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ive never seen a solid black rotor. The pic of the wildwood rotor you posted is when its brand new. The minute you hit the brakes the black coating is worn away and it will only be black in the dimples or slots. I have there 14' 6 piston set up up front and there 13" 4 piston set up out back. JFYI there standard 94-04 rear is a single piston set up. I Have a custom narrowed rear with the correct brake offset so that I could get a 4 piston set up out back. ttocs found some bear 4 piston set up to work with the 94-04 rears might want to ask him about those set ups.

Not really. I have Wilwoods on my 72, and they came with black rotors. 4 years later, they are still black. Not as black, but definitely not grey like my 94 rotors.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Not really. I have Wilwoods on my 72, and they came with black rotors. 4 years later, they are still black. Not as black, but definitely not grey like my 94 rotors.

Curious if that would lead to dirtier wheels or not myself. I know the dust is mainly from the pad but I can't help but wonder

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Curious if that would lead to dirtier wheels or not myself. I know the dust is mainly from the pad but I can't help but wonder
Ohh the brakes leave a lot of dust. A lot...

sent from the toilet or from my cubicle

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score

When you have time can you post a photo?

Reaction score
I have there 14' 6 piston set up up front and there 13" 4 piston set up out back. JFYI there standard 94-04 rear is a single piston set up. I Have a custom narrowed rear with the correct brake offset so that I could get a 4 piston set up out back.

im interested to know what setup you used to fit the 4 pistons in the rear, i too dont like their small single piston caliper that they offer for our cars, and want to have at least 4 pistons in the rear. i prefer to go 14 in rotors but i can live with 13 hahah

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
im interested to know what setup you used to fit the 4 pistons in the rear, i too dont like their small single piston caliper that they offer for our cars, and want to have at least 4 pistons in the rear. i prefer to go 14 in rotors but i can live with 13 hahah
You wont have a parking brake with a 4p caliper in the rear.

sent from the toilet or from my cubicle

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Look in the suspension subforum. We have a sticky. Be aware, that any fulltorqued kit will require you to run s197 wheel offset up front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

The single piston caliper was a complete deal breaker for me as well. Looks like something you would find on my kids power wheel...

I know this probably will not necessarily be good news but its also not bad news. The people at Baer were super nice and answered a bunch of questions and took care of me. The kit can't get here fast enough now....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010