Brake warning light

KVacek

Reaction score
My 99 Cobra needed lots of brake attention and before I got to it the red BRAKE warning light came on. Didn't seem to be the e-brake switch, and the fluid was only a little low, but adding fluid turned it off. For a day. I just ignored it till I got to the brakes - when I replaced the MC and all calipers and hoses, pads, rotors, etc.

After bleeding I have excellent brakes but the light is still on. Connector on the MC is clean and all wires to it look fine.

Weird thing is that if I open the door the light goes off, telling me that it might be a short. Before I go off on a search mission, has anyone seen this before?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was thinking of a couple of things till you mentioned it goes off with the door open. Seems simple enough JUST LEAVE YOUR DOOR OPEN DUH!!!! :) But seriously I would start at the gauge cluster. Check the connection to it and make sure that none of the traces are crossed where it plugs in.

OP
OP
K

KVacek

Reaction score
The light went out eventually a week or two after the complete (all calipers, rotors, hoses, and MC) brake job. It's been 4 years now (not that many miles...) but the light came back on recently. Parking brake lever sometimes made it go out, but by the time I got home is was on. Fluid was slightly low, added to top of the full zone and it went out. Bounced back on a few times in subsequent days,and now (3 weeks later?) off completely. Must be the low fluid switch in the MC ???

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
assuming you don't have any leaks but it would be worth your time to stick your hands up around the brake lines and check for fluid at the connections

OP
OP
K

KVacek

Reaction score
assuming you don't have any leaks but it would be worth your time to stick your hands up around the brake lines and check for fluid at the connections
Not leaking. Fluid level dropped slightly after several years of using the pads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Staff online

Members online