brakes - what do you dream of?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am curious if someone were to upgrade above a cobra set, what would you do? Something definitly good on street, will compete on a track from time to time and needs to remain trouble free for many years and look good doing it. What do you dream of?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dream of or afford?

I'd like a nice 15"/14" 6/4 piston combo but I'll settle for my 13" 6 piston Wilwoods and rear Cobra brakes.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I dream of a custom 326 Power dual-caliper setup.

But when I do upgrade I'm sure cobra brakes will be fine though.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dream of or afford?

I'd like a nice 15"/14" 6/4 piston combo but I'll settle for my 13" 6 piston Wilwoods and rear Cobra brakes.

God I know the feeling.... I guess it would be fun to hear both and to get ideas. I mean its not like this purchase is going to push me over that # of "spent too much" pretty sure I got the rights to that shirt a while back ya know?!

RedTwilight

Reaction score
I'm yearning for a set of 14" Baer 6 piston aluminum monoblocks up front and 13" 6 piston aluminum monoblock for the rear.

ANd mine came from the factory with the Cobra brakes! :p

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Brag much?!?! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

a7276aa46e39e25559e742b170f3559f.jpg

nitroram33

Reaction score
When the time comes, I'll be converting my friends car to GT350 brakes up front (yay for radial mounting!), though the rears may stay factory cobra rear for a little while until I can figure out the best way to sort out a parking brake since he doesn't want to give that up around here.

neverenuff

Reaction score
One can dream.....I really like this color. Afford: a decently priced oem Brembo brake kit.
N8on2IbJAXl01Dj4E5sz0QEPMAPfmcWIyj8iDVboGRw-HTCRjsuFePLzgnxV2sEdyt7foC2IzZSGyOnIub91TXekLaON78HZKxUPfj9jrAmO57ksqwXKqXf8LhOzxx_-KVi1a0pujwZBPzQJO32Zo95y8kiZ_Up8yUf7oJmy1lN74IR9DAPtIoMQPUr3xI5GVt94d3JzwrVG00WcpImEKXSVjvL2H1GWs_jzecHh-kyuJZbRbUeHM3gchFb1P6w_Bg6K9ctrZQ1ORfl952Ut7pdGFuLxrL-McNdzXrZ_qUnIG5wXJtWgMuMpZ-M5_gPFj03wwbNvcgbmp3qEibHRMyF_rx-gpC8aXsKmzznLY_CqWudvBa4cWPEZa0A7MI28bQTPe2TUHihxmxPj6InZpWpe_a4t0B6kCpN6eDiTz6lBuXsTuiq5AZBO5eWTdqXJcTtgEXOoBrUR3m_-DIY0-c7_xLd-eg6GTCiouq6_P-HhB_XGGVGjVPQTcW0c-idc761zKu6YHFd-aDwzjHxbjmuT2NMIL6fjLSF3xVFuhJo3BIARPOUMiC_KkzAaPmQcohbd=w810-h608-no

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Then Adam an old forum member is making a bracket to use 4 pot in the rear also.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Honestly I love it. Especially after back surgery. It's so much nicer.

Granted I'm about to install full Delrin, MM beefy Tie rods, FTBR adj sway bar links. I already have a solid pinion bearing so I have some noise there but overall it's great.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am also curious if anyone has any recomendations where to get these kits as well? I am going to get something nice just not sure what or where to get it....

RichV

Reaction score
Someone mention brakes, ahem!!

I have used different variations of Mustang brakes on race cars, so my assessment is more function than form, but I'll put in my 0.02 anyway. Note, this is a 260hp race car that sees max speeds of about 130mph on most tracks, track sessions are 20-45 minutes long. Brakes are critical in this environment.

I'll stick to sn related setups. This applies to 100% working systems, bled with fresh fluid. Pads make a big difference how brakes feel in initial bite, sustained braking at high temp levels, and dreaded fade. Some of my experiences may not be apples to apples because I've used several different pad setups including HAW, EBC, Carbotech. Currently I use HAWK DTC70 in the front and DTC60 in the rear.

Stock 94 GT brakes
Street:
Absolutely fine. There is just not enough abuse you could do going to 7-11.
Track:
Fade comes in about the 3rd lap of hard driving, then you're forced to drive a little easier until brakes come back.
Feel:
Blah. Pedal down, car stops.

Upgrade to 99-04 PBR twin piston GT front caliper
Street:
Improved over the above setup. Brakes feel more responsive, not as much pedal effort needed for hard stops.
Track:
Fade comes in after about 10 minutes. However, with brake coolers the fade is reduced, practically eliminated.
Feel:
More responsive than stock by leaps and bounds. System is very well balanced with 1 step less aggressive pads in the rear.

Upgrade to 13" front rotor Wilwood 4 pot, stock Cobra rear.
Street:
Too much, but definitely usable.
Track:
Very well balanced, brakes are there. Period. You can absolutely be 100% confident this will launch you through the windshield if needbe. Brake coolers are a MUST on track.
Feel:
Wow.

My original plan for the 13" setup was Cobra calipers. But decided on the Wilwood for 2 reasons. Pad cost and longevity, when you're paying $220 for a set of front pads every 2 weekends of driving versus $180 that lasts almost a full season is significant. I also had a chance for the 00R Brembo setup, decided with Wilwoods because I can buy a caliper for $150 from anywhere online. If the Brembo caliper got trashed I'd have to buy a pair.

For the street, I would have no issues going with the 00R Brembo setup. It would likely be a 1 time purchase, HAWK HPS or HPS-Plus pads and you're ready for anything the road has to throw your way. However, for the track I would still do some coolers. Just for track use tho. May not be necessary until you get some experience and start going 'fast', but you don't want to ever step on the brakes at triple digit speed to find they are not there. When fade hits, it's hardly gradual brakes feel fine the turn before, the next turn your pedal is rock solid and she ain't slowin' down.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can you show some examples of the coolers that you speak of!?!?

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online