breather cap

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by r_suh, Nov 18, 2006.

1. r_suh

r_suh Active Member

hey guys i got a quick question. i was curious to know if anyone has a breather cap instead of an oil cap. My question is if you use a breather cap can you take off the short hose just under the cap thats also connected to the air intake?

2. G_94_T

G_94_T Member

Just going off what ive seen on the 'net....a breather cap on an EFI car is a no-no.....it will fool the computer into thinking there's a vacuum leak

3. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

I had one on my 91GT

4. Eastcoast5.0

Eastcoast5.0 Member

I have a breather on mine, no problems what so ever. Yes take that line off, just plug the hole in your CAI or whatever intake you have on it.

5. JTEarp

JTEarp New Member

Is there any particular breather cap that is recommended? Thanks.

6. 94darkhorse

94darkhorse Legend

I have breather caps on both my vc's

7. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

damn its been so long I cant remember what kind I had on my 91 :-\ :-\ :-\ I want to say it was a K&N ??? ??? ??? do they make them..............damn I'm getting old I cant remember crap :( :(

8. ryclef331

ryclef331 Well-Known Member

he's right. the car may run fine and all but you may start to notice idle issues with that setup. The PROPER way would be to plug the PVC system. Look at it this way. The intake manifold is connected to the pvc with obviously is connected to the crank case. The crank case shares the same air with the lifter valley and under the valve covers. The valve cover is vented into the inlet elbow of the factory intake. NOW, when you slap a breather onto the filler neck, you just opened that seal system. The PVC no longer has "suction" on the crank case so you just botched that system. You gain NOTHING NOTHING by doing this. IF you have oil in the intake, its normally pull in through the PVC. You can installed an air/oil seperator for under 20 bucks.

Either way...IF you go with breathers, you need to block off the PVC completely. Its one or the other.