Broke. Crankshaft bolt

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I will post some pictures after I go take them, sun is finally out, I feel like a groundhog.
Remember the dampener is on tight but it is an interference taper fit that does the main holding, just because the bolt is out the dampener does not come right off.
The high force used is because of the vibration it sees and the side force from the belt. Once it is on tight an ARP super bolt is over kill. I have 2 ARP's with chewed up threads form a bad Ford assembly job with a big impact gun that ruined the internal threads that I had the same problem with. Ford only has to have it go together once. I retapped the best I could but the bolts did not have the full reach of threads in the deep hole and felt iffy so I put in a full depth stud and now I have to be careful because I can now sink the pulley on too deep since I am not using the internal threads to pull the dampener down.
It worked out well and I like it better than the bolt now.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Pie we appreciate the knowledge that we’re all sure you bring to the table.

But please try to keep comments from always sounding so negative. Unfortunately not everyone has the same skill set or knowledge, or maybe they don’t have the same access to tools and lifts.

Regardless of what it is we try to keep from just slamming people. We’re all happy to have you here but sometimes you come across kind of harsh. Please continue to enjoy the forums and hopefully you find it easy to post in a manner that best represents what we’ve built here at the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful, you sound like a moderator :D

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Careful, you sound like a moderator :D

Too bad the owner of the website doesn’t pay attention to the fact that it takes a non mod acting as a mod cause most of our mods aren’t even on this site anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Crank stud..
IMG_1040-D.jpg

OP
OP
W

WVboy92

Reaction score
Welp, I tapped it and got a bolt in. It's in tight, but I didn't risk torquing it because I didn't know if it would do the same torque since the bolt is a different size. I put the car back together and will change the oil in the morning (it's already on the stands, so why not?). Anyways, I appreciate the help guys. I think I'm going to hold off modding this vehicle until I procure a small pick up truck as a daily driver. In the meantime, I'm going to watch this bolt like a hawk and start planning for a new crank down the line (maybe even a rebuild? Who knows?).

PS: It might be garbage, but it's my garbage. And it's the nicest car on the block!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Well that’s a relief! You should be able to use the same torque spec as stock but I understand your apprehension at this point! One of the best parts of having one of these older cars is the long standing network of enthusiasts willing to help like minded people in our niche. When you’re ready to start building an engine just let us know! We’ll steer you in the right direction!

OP
OP
W

WVboy92

Reaction score
I appreciate it buddy!

I'll definitely be weighing my options. I'm on a budget so its probably a blessing in disguise. Slows me down and lets me really think through what my next move should be with the car.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I got to the same point. THEN when you start to do the torque down pulling the pulley down it feels "Funny" and I back out and the first threads on the bolt are not clean. After 2 new bolts and retapping the threads I was not happy. That is when I went to the stud, It seats much deeper into unused threads and feels good, a little Loctite and it has been competent for 6 teardowns. Easy to remove using the 2 nut pinch mode and is an inch longer than the bolts.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Welp, I tapped it and got a bolt in. It's in tight, but I didn't risk torquing it because I didn't know if it would do the same torque since the bolt is a different size. I put the car back together and will change the oil in the morning (it's already on the stands, so why not?). Anyways, I appreciate the help guys. I think I'm going to hold off modding this vehicle until I procure a small pick up truck as a daily driver. In the meantime, I'm going to watch this bolt like a hawk and start planning for a new crank down the line (maybe even a rebuild? Who knows?).

PS: It might be garbage, but it's my garbage. And it's the nicest car on the block!
Glad you got it
hate to see another Stang just sitting because it broke , rather see them on the streets.

01yellercobra

Reaction score

It needs to be torqued down. The dampner also keeps the timing wheel from bouncing around. If things aren't tight other issues will pop up. I learned that one the hard way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.