Broken gauge cluster

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Speedometer and odometer haven’t been working. Now the tach quit (even the mechanic tap no longer works).

Did a new worm gear on speedometer . Didn’t help.

Question : where can I get my gauges repaired? Or should I just get a whole new cluster?

Wmac

Reaction score
Just the tach and speedo not working? All other gauges, indicators, warning lights work ok?

Had to replace a wonky tach year or 2 ago. "steeper" motor was bad.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tach, Speedo and Odo not working. I can correct the tach. The needle went clockwise around to the other side of that little “post” (for lack of a better term). It’s happened before. All I have to do is remove the gauge cluster from the dash, open it up and turn the needle anti-clockwise to its resting point.

Wmac

Reaction score
That's exactly how mine started to go south. Got more frequent over time. Then would work, not work, read high at idle. On and on. what a pita. Finally just stopped working.

Had a spare cluster, so swapped the stepper motor.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I have the OEM cluster from my Cobra. I will never be using it again. All of the gauges worked before I pulled it to replace it with a full digital dash.

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
I have the OEM cluster from my Cobra. I will never be using it again. All of the gauges worked before I pulled it to replace it with a full digital dash.
Is the full digital dash nice? I've looked at a few but I'm kind of trying to keep the 'original' look because I love the mid-90's styling

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's exactly how mine started to go south. Got more frequent over time. Then would work, not work, read high at idle. On and on. what a pita. Finally just stopped working.

Had a spare cluster, so swapped the stepper motor.
WMac,
what’s the stepper motor? I replaced the worm gear to no avail. Is that the same thing? And is the stepper motor something I can replace, given my limited skill set?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not coming up for me, either. But it seems like a correct lead. Will try again…

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, found it! Just had to click on Products & Services on the Accutach Company website, then scroll down to “94-98 Ford Instrument Cluster Repair or Calibration Service. $100 + $20 shippingimage.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sent the guy an email. Will also call during business hours

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So the guy from Accutach emailed me back with a few suggestions and things for me to check. Super nice of him to do that in lieu of me sending him the unit, getting charged for time/materials, then having to pay to send it back to me!

I got caught up preparing my bike for an upcoming Iron Butt epic ride and lost track of time, but I’ll go thru his list tomorrow or Friday. I’m very optimistic

TrickVert

Reaction score
I worked with Mark a few years ago on some beta testing of an oil pressure guage driver for the 99-03 F150's. He's a great guy. (And the module is still working great to provide an active oil pressure gauge instead of the stock dummy needle.)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the same good guy. Been bouncing emails and pics back and forth with him this morning.
Speedometer ground behind passenger side kick panel looks great.
Just sent him pics of tach ground(?). Waiting to hear back

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Michael,
I chatted with Mark @ AccuTach a few times and quickly realized he definitely knows what he’s doing. Shipped my gauge cluster to him. Day and a half later he had it sorted and on its way back to me. Scheduled to arrive UPS Monday evening.
Bonus about him: he diagnosed additional issues, sorted those as well and the cost was TOTALLY AFFORDABLE! Thank you so much for the referral!

If anyone else is having gauge cluster issues, I HIGHLY recommend contacting Mark Olson @ AccuTach.com.

I can’t wait to get it back, pop it back in and see it working!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online