Broken Head Gasket

MegaGT

Reaction score
So I just bought a 96 GT the head gasket smokes after awhile of running it should I just buy another 96 GT engine for 900 bucks or should I try and PI swap it and if I do buy new engine will any GT engine bolt to my automatic?:cry:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I don't want to be that guy, but please punctuate your sentences. Anyway, I see this is your first post, so tell us a little bit about the car. How many miles are on it? Are there any mechanical issues other than the smoking head gasket? Lastly, what do you want out of the car, daily driver or more power?

OP
OP
MegaGT

MegaGT

Reaction score
There's is some things that need to be fixed.from what I can tell it leaks coolant from the front of the car.Also high idle also which seems to not go down below 1000 RPMs.All I want is 350 HP and to restore the car for daily driver.

RichV

Reaction score
What do you mean the head gasket smokes??

When the HG goes, you typically have water in the oil, you get coolant out the exhaust (steam/smoke), along with overheating. One way to tell is to smell your coolant cap, if it smells like exhaust your HG is failed.

If it's been severely overheated you may run into warped heads which will need to be milled. Best case, just the HG replacement. Do both sides. PI swap at the same time would be ideal, that's the route I would do. With headers it should get you 260-270 at the tires. 350 is a tall order n/a.

cameron57

Reaction score
Another way to check is if the radiator is full and the engine is cold. Start the engine. If it blows water out the neck it has a blown head gasket, because you have compresion entering the cooling system.
-Cameron

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99