Broken key

Gregomatic

Reaction score
Hey, I took a locksmithing course from Foley Belsaw. You can make a tumbler rake out of several different items. Don't go hiring a locksmith yet until you at least give it a try.

The most perfect one I ever made was from a small modelers hacksaw by taking an old blade, dremeling down the teeth except for the last one and grinding deeper into the shank to make the tip of that last tooth like the end of a single barb harpoon.

If the tip is loose enough it wiggles in there (showing it's not seized by a twist) sometimes you can get them out with a heavy duty paper clip, smashed flat at the end and then filed to a harpoon tip.
If you have fishing equipment, get a large hook and straighten it out best you can. You'll need to blunt the tip, only the barb needs to be sharp. The point has to push the tumblers back home for you to get to the end of the tip. (A long skinny hook works best, the cheap china crap hooks)

Get a bright pen light and see which direction is the best way to attack it.
Sit down on a short stool or seat so you can look straight into it without fatiguing your back or neck. A pair of reading glasses are beneficial as well as an extra set of hands.

It might take a minute, but I'm pretty confident you can get it.
The biggest trick may be seeing what you're doing without getting in your own light. Once you've kinda oriented yourself, don't be afraid to work by feel. Try to see in your mind what you're doing, a great deal of lock work is done by feel.

Also, I thiiiink that Harbor freight sells a set of picks that should come with a couple types of rakes.
Besides, if you get the pick set, you might get bit and start to find locks interesting. Locksmithing doesn't take up much space, equipment is cheaper, and there will always be a market for your skills.
It's a cool hobby and you end up being the 'hero' in unexpected situations.

I wish I was there to kinda show you, but they have youtube for that stuff nowadays. LOL
Go make you a rake and have fun!
:D

Last edited:

Gregomatic

Reaction score
If that is your only key, you will still have to take it to a locksmith to get it replaced because it has a transponder in it.
You still need to get the tip out of your trunk though.
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, mostly good now tho. I end up drilling out the rivit and removing the trunk lock and tearing it to bits, and finally got the damn key piece out. Took a chance and shoved it in the ignition and than put the head of the key in behind it, and walah! Started the car. I know it's not the best solution and my trunk doesn't have a key hole anymore for now, but I was able to get home that way, so yeah!

OP
OP
Katstang

Katstang

Reaction score
Yep! Cause when that happens, when you're broke and 200 miles from home, you do what you gotta do. And it got me home, the trunk still opens with the button in glove box, and the ignition won't turn without the other end of the key, it wouldn't start without the other side of the key if it did turn. I really didn't have much of a choice at the moment, and as far as I am concerned, I got lucky, and the only thing that is different is that I can't use a key to open the trunk now. Big deal.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Have you made an appointment to have a spare key made yet?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online