budget build question

mickey

Reaction score
I've been building a budget brawler, a 98 gt auto trans. I have pi heads, pi cams, pi intake, mac long tubes, cai, and a flowmaster cat back, all bought used for around $500. I also plan to jmod or buy a shift kit, 4:10 gears, and rear control arms. I have been thinking of either getting a new torque converter or a mild set of cams now I will only have enough money for one so witch one will help with quater mile times? More horse power or a high stall for harder launches. One other question any idea what it will run, last year when it was bone stock with an intake leak in full weight it went 15.7.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I think that the pi swap and full exhaust will probably be adequate for the increase in power you are looking for, especially when combined with a dyno tune.

I would get a 3000rpm stall torque converter to compliment the 410's. Having the right stall/gear combo will be more beneficial than having a couple extra horses. Plus, even if you got the new cams now, you would still have to get the high stall torque converter later. You might as well get the torque converter first, and play with the pi set-up for a while.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
It sounds like your plans will get that car moving pretty good! I'd get a good 3000 stall, which will be plenty for the car for when you decide to do cams or something down the line. Also some Strange adjustable shocks and struts would be great mods, along with subframe connectors and some Nitto drag radials, or Mickey Thompsons if you have the extra money.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
I was looking at toyo tq drag radial I can get 2, 275/40 r17 for $330 that includes taxes. Anyone have experience with these? And I forgot to mention sun frame connectors that is also on the list of must have for have this year.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I was looking at toyo tq drag radial I can get 2, 275/40 r17 for $330 that includes taxes. Anyone have experience with these? And I forgot to mention sun frame connectors that is also on the list of must have for have this year.

I would advise to get some spare 15" wheels (like v6 wheels which can be had for literally nothing) and put some 275/50/15 drag radials on there if you're going to use the car as a daily. Drag radials are no fun in the rain. I've only heard of one person with the toyo TQ's and they didn't hook one bit, almost like a street tire.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
This car is a weekend warrior I only get it out on sunny days. that explains why they're cheap lol.

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
I've got a lead on a circle d with a 4k stall that would need to be re stalled down to ???? I was thinking 3k. If this deal falls threw what is a good budget converter?

OP
OP
M

mickey

Reaction score
Even without a cracked intake i dont think it would have been that much quicker. This year should be a lot better I'm hoping for mid 13's with the list I listed above along with a converter, drag shocks, and subframe connectors and obviously a good tune. Witch brings me to another question, who around chicago dose a good tune?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online