Budget Suspension Upgrade? - (Team Z Tubular K-Member)

Venompower

Reaction score
The last three things I need to address to get the car solid are:

1. Suspension
2. Clutch Engagement
3. Air Conditioning / Radio

The biggest issue with enjoying driving the car is the rattling loose suspension, so that is the first thing on the list. The Team Z K-Member has been nice when working on the front of the car, but honestly I would prefer not having coil overs on the car... despite having the supercharger, it's not a race car and I would much prefer a quiet and comfortable suspension. So what would be the most cost effective way to get the car tight and quiet, so I can just enjoy hoping in the car without rattling ground clearance issues, etc.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If they are done right there should be on more noise from coil overs than there was with the stock set up. Most people just take out the iso's and then throw what ever is the cheapest they can find on it. Can't you raise your coil overs to fix the clearance issues?

J_lope82

Reaction score
The last three things I need to address to get the car solid are:

1. Suspension
2. Clutch Engagement
3. Air Conditioning / Radio

The biggest issue with enjoying driving the car is the rattling loose suspension, so that is the first thing on the list. The Team Z K-Member has been nice when working on the front of the car, but honestly I would prefer not having coil overs on the car... despite having the supercharger, it's not a race car and I would much prefer a quiet and comfortable suspension. So what would be the most cost effective way to get the car tight and quiet, so I can just enjoy hoping in the car without rattling ground clearance issues, etc.

Talk to war horse he is big and savvy on oem style and effective suspension mods.

badass98svt

Reaction score
What rattling/noises? Not noises here with MM/Bilstein CO kit up front.

With the right spring rate, your CO will be way smoother than any lowering springs.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most of the problems people have with the rides in mustangs is because they slam them as low as they think looks cool and put what ever springs they can find on them.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Warhorse… definitely. Super knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Took the time to totally lay out and explain suspension options for me a short time ago. Very very helpful

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
If they are done right there should be on more noise from coil overs than there was with the stock set up. Most people just take out the iso's and then throw what ever is the cheapest they can find on it. Can't you raise your coil overs to fix the clearance issues?

I can’t even identify the brand and have never had coilovers before. I’m assuming I need a special wrench to adjust them?

badass98svt

Reaction score
I can’t even identify the brand and have never had coilovers before. I’m assuming I need a special wrench to adjust them?

Yes, but most use the same wrench. Available on Amazon etc.

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
If you were going to start over... what would you purchase to refresh the front and rear suspension?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Me? I pretty much have my suspension all done.
Up front:
Tubular K
Tubular control arms
Bumpsteer kit
MM solid rack bushings
MM solid steering shaft
MM coilovers with Bilsteins
MM CC plates

Out back:
Replacement OEM upper control arms
MM lower control arms with solid bushings
H&R Super Sport rear springs
Steeda swaybar
MM panhard bar
Currently running a pair of Tokico blue shocks, but swapping in a pair of Bilsteins this summer.
Quad shocks removed
And of course a set of MM full length SFC connecting front to back.

I'm sure I forgot some shit though.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
You can build a very capable SN95 Mustang without coil-overs. My focus is obviously on autocross, but I have helped people looking to make their cars more comfortable/feel better for safe street driving. The basic guidelines are to make sure your bushings and ball joints are in good shape (if they're original to the car, they're probably bad); choose suspension components that don't lower the car too much or make the car too stiff (too low and too stiff make these cars handle worse); eliminate the "factory-installed" understeer by adding a larger REAR sway bar (25mm is good for most V8s; your Cobra might already have a larger rear bar); and don't run staggered wheels and tires (they ADD understeer).

If your roads are rough, consider progressive springs. Ford Racing B springs are a good option. Progressive springs aren't my first choice for performance driving.

I don't lower my cars more than 1"; they don't look "cool", but they handle really well.

If you are looking to use the car for performance driving (not on the street), the best mod you can make are adjustable shocks and struts. These can help on rough roads too. When adjusted properly, you can fundamentally change the personality of the car.

Bushing material and type are very important. You can choose rubber, poly, Delrin or spherical. You probably don't want Delrin or spherical in a street car. If you plan on changing your UCA/LCA bushings, I recommend upgrading to UCAs/LCAs with 3-piece poly bushings (Steeda/J&M).

There are lots of helpful videos on my YouTube channel. Some of the parts have been discontinued, but I can recommend alternatives if you decide to make those specific upgrades.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
This will give you an idea how a torque arm/panhard bar & coil over equipped, slammed SN95 with delrin and heim joint suspension rides:

NVH IS LIFE

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hope that road was crappy and not the suspension:-(

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I will check out the videos... since the car already has the tubular k-member with coil over control arms... I need to either find an inexpensive coil over replacement that will work or source the control arms that allow the conventional suspension setup.

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
When it comes to coil-overs, quality is really important. An inexpensive kit might not provide the results you are looking for. LMR sells a "stock replacement" front control arm set for $200. The ball joints aren't greaseable. You also have the option of pulling a set from LKQ and installing new bushings and greaseable ball joints.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online