Build the auto or 5 speed swap?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Let's see what you guys think.....and I have a pretty good idea of what the majority will say. My auto I'm afraid is on it's last leg. It shudders pretty badly when going into overdrive and sometimes from 2-3. I've been thinking about having it gone thru and getting a good shift kit and a stall. I also have a B&M Hammer shifter waiting to go in as well. So that would make it pretty fun with the 3.73's. I'm sure I'm going to be into a pretty good amount of money having it rebuilt too though.

Option 2...find a 5 speed, pedals, computer etc. Probably less money but around here they are a little tougher to find. I definitely would looooove to have a 5 speed, I miss driving a standard!

And for anyone wondering the car is pretty much a dd, may see the strip a few times a year. Just a general play toy/money pit.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I personally would keep it auto, put a Silverfox valve body in it, a custom converter, and have fun. 5 speed swap is useless if you're swapping to a t5, as the t5 is a very weak transmission and is inferior to what you already have. If you want a manual, go on and fork out for the 3550 or T56.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I personally would keep it auto, put a Silverfox valve body in it, a custom converter, and have fun. 5 speed swap is useless if you're swapping to a t5, as the t5 is a very weak transmission and is inferior to what you already have. If you want a manual, go on and fork out for the 3550 or T56.
I've heard the t5 was kinda weak myself. A friend of mine has a t56 for sale it just needs a bell housing. Never heard of the 3550 though? Is it a tremec?

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I've heard the t5 was kinda weak myself. A friend of mine has a t56 for sale it just needs a bell housing. Never heard of the 3550 though? Is it a tremec?

Yes it is. But if you don't plan on putting 400+hp through the trans or run drag radials/slicks and just want to be able to bang gears, you'll probably be able to get away with a t5.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I was in the same situation a couple years ago and went with a 5 speed swap. If you just use it for cruising around and not racing the manual will be more fun to drive everyday

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Yes it is. But if you don't plan on putting 400+hp through the trans or run drag radials/slicks and just want to be able to bang gears, you'll probably be able to get away with a t5.
This is me^
I was in the same situation a couple years ago and went with a 5 speed swap. If you just use it for cruising around and not racing the manual will be more fun to drive everyday
That's what I was thinking also. I mean yea I definitely plan on taking it to the track a few times, but nothing serious. Just going down there with some friends and playing around when we all have the night off work together.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5 5 speed t5

shorty

Reaction score
Running my 5 speed for almost 3 years now with 2 drag seasons on mt drag ets and spraying a 150 hit while power shifting and cutting 1.69 60 ft
Still going strong. Just dont put a super heavy duty clutch in it and it wont stress the tranny. Im rather impressed with my little ole t5. Just my .02.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Found this come across Facebook the other day. I'm still waiting to call these people and see what they have to say about it. $1350 plus shipping for a complete swap! From the transmission and driveshaft, pedals, computer, harness, all the bolts and nuts and other hardware. Sound like a good deal to any of you? Or has anyone ever had any dealings with East Coast Mustangs?

deeefde01f7cc12bbb54a385aa746504.jpg

Sent from 2 car lengths ahead of Matt's 2V!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a bad deal if there's a warranty associated with it especially, and a newer clutch. Of course you can find it cheaper at a junk yard, but there's always the pain of pulling it and no guarantee it will work when you hook it up.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like a bad deal if there's a warranty associated with it especially, and a newer clutch. Of course you can find it cheaper at a junk yard, but there's always the pain of pulling it and no guarantee it will work when you hook it up.
So far every yard I've checked around here has come up dry. And I'm definitely gonna find out if they offer any type of warranty, as well as go ahead and upgrade the clutch, tob, and other stuff like that.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
So far every yard I've checked around here has come up dry. And I'm definitely gonna find out if they offer any type of warranty, as well as go ahead and upgrade the clutch, tob, and other stuff like that.

Yeah I hear you on that, not a lot of mustang gt's that make it to the yards around me either. People seem to part them out a lot. And good idea going with new clutch and tob, you only want to tear this apart once if possible!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I would stay with the auto and build it. I started with an auto in mine, went 5 speed, now im looking at going back to the auto. 5 speed is fun and all but when the new wears off and you have to sit in hours worth of traffic, it tend to grow old quickly. You can build that auto yourself. Look on line, you tube, google, the works. If you have the patience you can accomplish the task. Just have to know how to read and follow directions. I would put the money toward a good stall converter and the known week spots inside that trans.

clflorida

Reaction score
I would stay with the auto and build it. I started with an auto in mine, went 5 speed, now im looking at going back to the auto. 5 speed is fun and all but when the new wears off and you have to sit in hours worth of traffic, it tend to grow old quickly.

Ye.

RichV

Reaction score
It's a preference. Personally I would not drive a automatic Mustang. Had a 86 GT with a AOD many years go. It was fun and consistent at the bracket races, but yawn on the street.

On the T5 being weak, a manual tranny doesn't just blow up when you put a lot of power through it. It's driving style as well. My experience is running a 4cyl T5 and a 7.5" rear end for years on a V8, 260rwhp race car. Race car = living at 5K rpm, constantly shifting, braking, turning, etc. So both the T5 and 7.5 had a rough life, but neither of them failed. That was 3-4 years of racing. And all the parts were used when I got them.

And in the drag racing world, there are plenty of guys going 10-11 sec ETs on 4 cyl Fox T5 trannys because they're so cheap compared to a V8 T5. There are definitely better options out there, but you can only do what you can afford.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online