building a 98 mark 8 motor

gumby5.0

Reaction score
Ive gotten ahold of a low mileage 98 mark 8 4.6 really cheap and I'm planning on throwing a set of c heads with a Mach 1 intake on it but I am getting a little confused to what timing components to use tho? Are there really that many differences in chains gears etc? If so what particular set up would I need to use? Also Ive got a mach water pump and front cover already. Thanks

FrankenStang

Reaction score
make a build thread of this...i also have a 98 mark motor i want to start modding...i was going to keep stock heads but use cobra manifold and intake cams, already have imrc deleted and egr..

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The primary chains and sprokets are the same. I am unsure about the secondary timing parts.

Im also under the impression the tensioners are a different design...

Sounds like a fun build!!! Keep us posted!!

BigBore96

Reaction score
I agree. Make a build thread and I'll post up pretty much everything you need to time it. Theres a lot of stuff people replace on these that are not needing to be replaced. Most of what you have on the mark 8 will transfer over, although, you need to at least switch to the newer crank gears and trigger wheel. The the secondary chain tensioners are a MUST to replace. The primaries I would rerun along with the chains. Like I said though, if you want, make a build thread and I'll compile the info you need with part numbers and such and paste it all in it for you.

BigBore96

Reaction score
The chain, and the primary tensioners DO NOT basically ever go bad. The chains never stretch and the primary steel tensioners are golden. not so much for the secondary tensioners though.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I'll most definitely start a build thread here soon. The reason I'm looking into replacing all the timing components is because the previous owner lost half of the crap lol. I can get a whole mach 1 cloyes setup from work for $420. If it'll indeed work I'll go ahead and order it. Also the previous owner let it sit in his shop with the heads off for over ten years. Should I go ahead and disassemble and have it cleaned up?

97FloridaGT

Reaction score
Ive gotten ahold of a low mileage 98 mark 8 4.6 really cheap and I'm planning on throwing a set of c heads with a Mach 1 intake on it but I am getting a little confused to what timing components to use tho? Are there really that many differences in chains gears etc? If so what particular set up would I need to use? Also Ive got a mach water pump and front cover already. Thanks

make a build thread of this...i also have a 98 mark motor i want to start modding...i was going to keep stock heads but use cobra manifold and intake cams, already have imrc deleted and egr..

You're both bastards...that's all I have to say. Subscribed!

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
I've got a question before I start pilling parts. I'm shooting for 320-330 rwhp do you all see that possible using fresh 01 cheads 96 c intake cams 04 mach exhaust cams with a ported short runner 01 intake? I'll of course be using some sort of long tubes

alex302

Reaction score
I've got a question before I start pilling parts. I'm shooting for 320-330 rwhp do you all see that possible using fresh 01 cheads 96 c intake cams 04 mach exhaust cams with a ported short runner 01 intake? I'll of course be using some sort of long tubes

Yes it should make that EZ. I have a stock 04 Mach 1 motor with long tubes, jlt cai and a good tune and I made 335hp and 350tq to the wheels.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i suggest replacing the tensioners and the chains because they are pretty much the vital parts of the timing... The chains *do* stretch over time. and the tensioners are the only things keeping you from smashing a valve into a piston..... (figure of speech)

I suggest replacing these as they are fairly cheep to replace, and they will give you peace of mind while driving down the road.

as for your horsepower goals, you should have a problem hitting those numbers...

I too did a 4v swap and its not too bad once you get into it. The more you get from the donor car, the better off you'll be. If you have the opportunity to buy the totaled car for a cheep price - do it.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
please DO timing chains...im almost positive i thats what failed when i did my h/c/i on my 2v motor...needless to say...here i am with a different car...could have been my tensioners also but who knows..bottom line is, i ruind my engine being lazy/cheap....

BigBore96

Reaction score
I promse guys, It's NOT the chains that cause failure. Ask around, the chains don't go bad. The tensioners do. Especially in the 2v. They're the cheap plastic crap. The 4v tensioners the only one that goes bad is the secondary. And it's not even the tensioner that is bad itself. It still tensions. But the plastic that guides the chain on the secondarys are not replaceable and wear thin, allowing the chains to "appear" to stretch, although it is not the chains.

87vert

Reaction score
Tensioners are CRAP! Agree with above unless a very high mileage motor!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I specifically bought primary timing chains as a ford tech told me the chains do stretch over time. It's simply a peace-of-mind option. You dont have the extra $40.00 for a timing chain set? dont buy one. You dont want to crack your engine open for the next 25 years? find the $40.00....

as for the tensioners, I completely agree. You can tell their age by the wear/tear on them (if visible) and if nothing else, the color of the plastic. They are originally orange, but fade as the natural oils are pulled from the plastic as the heat, friction, and drag of the chain cross over the plastic.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Its gonna take a lot more to get 330-340 rwhp with what you posted tbh. make an account over at lincolnvscadillac.com and ask some questions. Im a member there but never modded my mark 8. Longtubes will really help, and definately do the full cobra intake as 98 mark 8s have a restrictive intake and really respond well to the cobra intake swap. Your gonna need a blower to be gettin 330+ rwhp outta that mark motor.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
lol orange??? ok, mine were white....that explains it....!

timingcomponents-1.jpg

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzCXGW28p8&feature=channel&list=UL

That guy goes by Driller on lincolnvscadillac.com and lincolnsofdistinction.org -- he's got a 93 mark, I think that video was before the 5.0 swap and he stroked it to a 5.3. Honestly your going to need a blower if your looking to get 300+ rwhp. You can do the cobra intake swap, cobra heads, ud pulleys, 90mm maf with conical filter and a heatshield, longtube headers, hi flo cats, x pipe, 3rd cat delete (really a resonator), dual 2.5'' exhaust, cams (you'll need 4 of them), dyno tune, and if your lucky you'll be around 290-310 to the crank and around 250-280 rwhp. A stock 98 mark viii comes stock with around 290 crank hp, which really means around 225-230 rwhp. A really good s/c for a the 4.6 mark motor is a vortech s- trim, you can easily get to around 400-440 hp while only running about 8-10 lbs of boost with all those mods I listed above. Oh and don't forget a high stall torque converter, 4.10 gears (if you have a manual 3.73s) and some beefy tires in the back lol.

OP
OP
G

gumby5.0

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzCXGW28p8&feature=channel&list=UL

That guy goes by Driller on lincolnvscadillac.com and lincolnsofdistinction.org -- he's got a 93 mark, I think that video was before the 5.0 swap and he stroked it to a 5.3. Honestly your going to need a blower if your looking to get 300+ rwhp. You can do the cobra intake swap, cobra heads, ud pulleys, 90mm maf with conical filter and a heatshield, longtube headers, hi flo cats, x pipe, 3rd cat delete (really a resonator), dual 2.5'' exhaust, cams (you'll need 4 of them), dyno tune, and if your lucky you'll be around 290-310 to the crank and around 250-280 rwhp. A stock 98 mark viii comes stock with around 290 crank hp, which really means around 225-230 rwhp. A really good s/c for a the 4.6 mark motor is a vortech s- trim, you can easily get to around 400-440 hp while only running about 8-10 lbs of boost with all those mods I listed above. Oh and don't forget a high stall torque converter, 4.10 gears (if you have a manual 3.73s) and some beefy tires in the back lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
With c heads as stated in first post I will hit over 300whp... how are mach 1's doing it......I don't know a lot about mod motors but I know enough to say 300whp won't be an issue