Bumper removal

Grnstang

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm kinda new to this site, but any site devoted to the SN95 is awesome in my books. Well, anyway, I recently decided to repaint my front and rear bumpers and to do this, the guy who is going to spray them wants them removed from the car. I have never done this before and I'm not sure what is all involved. Can anyone tell me if there are any step by step instructions for removing the bumpers. Also, there is a front bumper kit from 50resto which includes all the rivots and pins for installing a new front bumper. Will I need this kit, or will I be able to re-use all the factory rivots and pins? Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

freakshow12

Reaction score
well I can halfway help you. I have never had the fronts off my cars but have had the rears off. they are easy. in the trunk you must remove the trim pieces then behind that are about 6 bolts(10mm) if I remember. then a couple screws in the wheel openings I think(been 5 yrs since I did the one on the snake LOL) then it just pulls off. for a nicer job also remove the reflectors in the bumper by taking out the 4 nuts on the backs of them. hope this helps.

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Front bumper:

2 philips head screws on each side in front of the wheels
2 11mm nuts (again on each side) inside front bottom edge of fender (must pull back splash shields)
Under the hood there will either be 2 clips or 2 rivets on both sides where the bumper goes under the hood when the hood is closed.
On the bottom near the center, again there are 2 clips or rivets fixing the bottom of the bumper to the radiator support.
Youll have to pull kinda hard to get the tabs out from under the headlights, or you can use a long thin screwdriver to reach under there and pry on em.
Then it just slides right off

Rear bumper:
2 phillips head screws behind the rear tire on each side
Then I thnk there is either 1 or 2 11mm nuts just inside the wheel well at the edge of the quarter
Inside the trunk you will have to pull the rear interior trim out to reveal I think 4 or 5 11mm nuts along the rear body panel and maybe 1 on each side inside the trunk at the quarter panels.
Underneath there will be several large push clips holding it to the reinforcement

Tools needed:
Small ratchet, 11mm socket, extension to fit rathcet and socket (about a 3 inch extension will work), A short phillips head screwdriver, a long flathead screw driver, a fork tool (or sidecutters), and thats about it.

OP
OP
G

Grnstang

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Thanks a bunch. I think this will help alot. Doesn't seem to be too tough. I guess I'll soon see. Again thanks, and I'll have to put some pics up of my ride when she's all finished. Nothing too special, pretty much a stock 96 GT, but it's my baby.

OP
OP
G

Grnstang

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to say thanks again for all the help. Definately helped me out. Bumpers came off alright. Rear was kind of a pain, but with a couple of guys pullin we were able to get it off. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online