burning oil, need opinions please!!

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
Hello!! I checked my oil the other day and I noticed i'm burning about 1/2 to 3/4 of quart between oil changes. I also noticed my air filter (k&n fipk) had oil on it as well. So i cleaned it and recharged it and my car feels like normal. What could be causeing it? Is there an additive I could put in to help? Maybe I just need a headswap :banana: Thanks.

OP
OP
R

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
If thats the one thats on the drivers side valve cover I just changed it to be safe, the old one seemed to be ok, it wasn't stuck !

st4ng07

Reaction score
Valve seals...start putting mobil or valvoline 10w40. Slowed mine down a little.

voidfinger

Reaction score
so the pcv's can stick???? i have had the same problem with mine sucking in oil and i went to do a seafoam treatment and pulled the pcv pipe and it had oil in it......... , would changing it help and what would cause this?

S

scarface

voidfinger said:
so the pcv's can stick???? i have had the same problem with mine sucking in oil and i went to do a seafoam treatment and pulled the pcv pipe and it had oil in it......... , would changing it help and what would cause this?
yes i can stick..thats when it is bad. Oil in the PVC pipe is common.

vertcobra96

Reaction score
castrol 5w-30 regular NOT synthetic, claen your K&N and install it dry , do not oil it....you'll thank me later....

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
Try that Lucas oil stabilizer stuff, should slow down the oil consumption.

voidfinger

Reaction score
why would you put the k#n filter in with no oil on it??? that seems dangerous.

So scar, the oil in the pcv is common or common when the pcv is bad ?

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
My 2000 done that and it was new. I switched to synthetic and it quit. More than likely the oil is getting hot the burning (very common with mod motors).

OP
OP
R

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
wow this thread came back!! maybe i'll try synthetic this time. If it turns out not to be the valve seals , what else could it be? I was getting the pi swap done in a couple of weeks so if it's the valve seals I dont' care but if it's something else I don't want to dump the cash on the motor. A pi motor is not an option, I can't find one around here!!

Casper98gt

Reaction score
Well first of all burning 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart is normal for a 4.6/5.4 to burn. Mine does about 3/4 of a qt. I wouldnt put new valve seals in it because i dont think youre having a serious problem. Swapping over to mobil one will still do it and also is a lot thinner oil and will pass by youre seals easier. I agree switching over to a regular 10-30 will make things alot better. If youre never driving it cold run some 20-50 through it. Not putting oil on youre k&N wont hurt anything and its not dangerous. All youre doing is taking the chance of having to replace it sooner. If youre going with PI heads, then make sure youre milage on the heads are not too high. I have a huge bag of 4.6 valve seals if you think you need to have them replaced when you get heads, let me know and i'll give them to you for shipping cost. Oil in youre pcv line is normal. Its usually going to happen in the intake tube on a s/c car as well. I dont think you are having pcv problems either.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mine always burned that much in between changes. My new motor loses a litle more yet.

Casper98gt

Reaction score
void i have about 20 sets of them. PM me with youre info and i will ship them out to you and then i'll PM you with the shipping.....but i dont except it to be much less than about 5 dollars, so think of it as a christmas gift. :pimp2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online