Burning Oil

Kayvmann96

Reaction score
Ok guys I went to the track awhile back and on the way home i noticed that a lot of smoke was coming from my tailpipes, it turned out when i got home and checked that the smoke is a light blue color. It really only comes out when i start the car and when i accelerate. My oil level hasnt dropped a lot, but it seems like a lot of smoke is coming out. What do you guys think happend?

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Valve seals if it smokes when it first starts more then likely. Could be the rings as well, valve seals isnt that major of a project.

Try this test...go find a nice long hill, gear down so your engine is doing the braking and your at about 3,500-4,000rpm, dont touch the gas just let the car slow you down, once you get to the bottom of the hill thromp on the throttle (make sure its safe to do so) and look in your rearview mirror see if you notice smoke. If you do its probaly the rings and might as well change seals at the same time.

ALITL8

Reaction score
yep sounds like rings or seals. cool test method Matt :thumb:

Slammed96GT

Reaction score
I would say valve seals... that is what's wrong with mine right now and I have pair of PI Heads that I'm going to get a valve job done on with new valve seals... no need to fix old heads and have your car down for awhile. See if you can find some heads for a good price. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

Kayvmann96

Reaction score
Yea thats what im looking for, im trying to figure out if i can do the whole PI swap for around a grand, since i plan on doing the install.

How much did you get your heads for? and with how many miles? thanks

97vertstang

Reaction score
u should do a cylinder leakage test to see where the oil is coming from.no point of doing a pi swap and find out ur rings are bad.

Slammed96GT

Reaction score
I got a deal on the heads... I got a complete longblock with a spun bearing for $400.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online