Burning Smell at Higher RPMs

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
For a month or so now, I've been getting a burning smell at higher rpms. I've noticed it whenever I do a WOT above 4k...I've noticed it in both 1st gear and 2nd gear.

I'm worried it's oil, but I have no evidence of the car leaking oil from anywhere. I'm not that familiar with "smells" either so I really don't know if it's oil or not (I've smelled coolant before so I don't "think" it's that). I don't really get any smoke out of the exhaust either, I got a little white once on a hard 1st gear pull but haven't really seen it since then.

Only thing I've changed in the last few months is the muffler (from 40s to 10s).

A buddy said it could be the Serp belt since it's only at higher rpms, but the belt "looks" fine, no cracking or noticeable shredding. I went ahead and bought a new belt though and plan to change it this week just in case.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wow this will be tough to diagnose I suspect, smells are usually hard anyway when in person, over a forum...

So what kind of smell is it? You say a burning smell, but is it like an oil burning smell? Like plastic burning? How long does the smell stay around? If you were to keep the engine in the higher RPMS - would the smell stay for the entire time? And how long are you in those RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear? Not for long, I would imagine?

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
Wow this will be tough to diagnose I suspect, smells are usually hard anyway when in person, over a forum...

lol I know but I figured I should try the experience of everyone here for starters

So what kind of smell is it? You say a burning smell, but is it like an oil burning smell?

to me, it seems like an oil smell, but I don't have a ton of experience to pull from

Like plastic burning?

Definitely not plastic

How long does the smell stay around?

2-4 seconds

If you were to keep the engine in the higher RPMS - would the smell stay for the entire time?

I do not know, theoretically it should but I've been too scared to test that theory.

And how long are you in those RPMs in 1st and 2nd gear? Not for long, I would imagine?

Not long at all, maybe a few seconds...I do know it happens if I stay in 2nd gear around 4500 for a few seconds and idle down while still in 2nd gear

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is your car modified? How much torque? Auto or manual? Do you smell it when shifting? When this is happening, do you notice the RPMs going up but the car not accelerating as much?

I'm wondering if your clutch is burning/slipping, assuming you have a manual car...

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
Is your car modified?

A little - JLT RAI, BBK Longtube Headers, BBK O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 10s

How much torque?

Not sure, hasn't been on a dyno

Auto or manual?

Manual

Do you smell it when shifting?

No

When this is happening, do you notice the RPMs going up but the car not accelerating as much?

No, car pulls instantly and hard

I'm wondering if your clutch is burning/slipping, assuming you have a manual car...

If I stay in 1st gear, go WOT to 5k and let the car idle down while still in 1st gear, I get the burning smell

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
I see some people saying they had a smell at WOT-high rpms and it went away once they installed the JLT Oil Separator: http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-black-separator-9904cobra.html

It works... simple as that. My 01 Cobra was burning oil at WOT, and I feared I had bad valve seals, but I didn't get smoke in the exhaust on a cold start... so I just guessed it may be sucking oil in through the PCV system. I was right... this fixed the problem. and it's only a 10 minute install. Great product!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That could very well be the issue - it's just interesting that it's only happening for you at 1st and 2nd gear. But an oil catch can is not a bad thing, though that makes me think maybe the PCV isn't working as well as it should have? In other words, why are you getting the smell now. Is the PCV old, or been replaced recently?

The oil separator can't hurt - give it a shot!

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
That could very well be the issue - it's just interesting that it's only happening for you at 1st and 2nd gear. But an oil catch can is not a bad thing, though that makes me think maybe the PCV isn't working as well as it should have? In other words, why are you getting the smell now. Is the PCV old, or been replaced recently?

The oil separator can't hurt - give it a shot!

Perhaps I should attempt to replicate the issue in 3rd as well...I'll do that at lunch today.

No, I don't think the PCV has been replaced anytime recently, perhaps a new PCV and catch can?

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
ok so took it really easy on my way to the interstate, stayed in 3rd gear and did a 3400 rpm to 5000 rpm WOT pull...car pulled hard, once I got to 5k I let off the throttle...after about 2 seconds I got the usual smell again, it lasted for about 7-8 seconds then went away for the rest of the drive home (stayed below 2500 rpms).

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It's possible your PCV system isn't quite working like it's supposed to anymore - the PCV does it get clogged and stop working over time.

Also, and this may not be related, just thinking out loud, when cruising the computer turns on the EGR and evap stuff, it's possible (though not likely since you get the smell at WOT) that your evap solenoid is no longer working - though this tends to result in a gas smell, and not a burning oil smell.

OP
OP

98svtcontour98

Reaction score
It's possible your PCV system isn't quite working like it's supposed to anymore - the PCV does it get clogged and stop working over time.

Also, and this may not be related, just thinking out loud, when cruising the computer turns on the EGR and evap stuff, it's possible (though not likely since you get the smell at WOT) that your evap solenoid is no longer working - though this tends to result in a gas smell, and not a burning oil smell.

Man, thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.

I'm going to start by replacing the $8 PCV Valve and then go to the oil separator and then to the shop for proper diagnosis if need be.

I can say that I did just replace the evap solenoid about 9 months ago so I'm guessing that should be good-to-go for now.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sure thing :D

Yah, the evap solenoid is reaching a bit. Like I said, when that goes, one tends to get a fuel smell coming in from the vents & under the hood - but no visible fuel leaks. Fingers crossed it's the PCV :)

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Rear main could be leaking just slightly. I smelled that a lil when I'd get on it cause of the oil inside the bell housing heating up from the friction of the clutch.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online