burning spark plug wire

GT Rob

Reaction score
Ok I figured half of my problem of my car running rough a burnt sp wire rear passenger side . Car has shorties headers what's a good set of sp wire. It's a 5.0

kb1982

Reaction score
I use the MSD 8.5 super conductors on my car. They are supposed to only have around 40 or 50 ohms of resistance per foot, which is alot better than most. Cant say that i've actually ohmed them out to see if the claim is true though. The ones I use are straight booots, but are multiangled. That allows you to bend them at whatever angle you need and they stay there until bend them back. The length of a few wires could be a little longer, to offer more routing possibilities, but thats the tradeoff for not ordering the custom do it yourself kit. They also come with black plastic wire seperators also, which are pretty nice. They are a square block style that locks, vs the usual push in open looms. I burnt up a wire on my last set, but that was my fault. I forgot to set the timing trigger angle for my Megasuirt Pnp, so i was idling at 0 degress timing for 15 minutes while messing with the tune. When I looked at the motor, the headers were glowing cherry red. I was suprised to see only the rear driverside wire torched , and it was actually only the boot, which could have been odered seperately and replaced.

kb1982

Reaction score
msd 32203 for black wires and msd 32209 for the red wires. I was wondering why the price was lower than what i gave for mine, but I dont think these come with the seperators. The number for the seperators are 8843. I cant remeber where I ordered mine from that they came bundled together.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can also find thermal boots or thermal protection that you can wrap around the wires to protect them in tight areas.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I just bought a set of Ford Racing wires from late model restoration. No complaints. They look great, are just the right length and you can't beat em for $45.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm curious why your burning wires. Do you have P heads or other aftermarket heads and using non P specific headers?
I have stock heads and BBK headers with 9mm FRPP wires, and the only time I've burnt a wire was when I got lazy and didn't secure them very well.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I run longtubes, ford racing 9mm wires. I cooked 2 wires because I was lazy and didn't ziptie them up at all. Threw a new set on, ziptied them up and away from everything. All is well.

OP
OP
GT Rob

GT Rob

Reaction score
It's just that one I had an extra wire laying so I put it on and zip tied it lets see what happens

hotmustang95

Reaction score
I think most people have probably burnt a wire or two. I know I have and it didn't matter which brand I used. You need to spend some time and route them away from the headers. I was told to get these wire separators and they work great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online