burping air from rad

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So I have the front end up and the rad cap off and when I start the car every 3-4 secs a little more coolant burps out of it, but not air. I finally shut it down when I had probably half a gallon on the floor. What the fffff does this mean? Any chance a water pump going backwards might do this?

Werecow

Reaction score
As it cools off you'll probably notice that the level has dropped a lot from where it was due to it burping out all the antifreeze. That's cause as things get warmer they expand. Your radiator cap is set to like 14 lbs of pressure. What you're seeing is the expansion of the antifreeze due to it's increase in temperature. Without a pressurized system naturally it will "burp" the antifreeze out in the ground. They do have funnels to allow you to run em and " burp" the air out the system that attach to the radiator that have a huge funnel to allow the fluid to stay in the funnel and keep the system from dumping it back on the ground. If I remember correctly @white95 has a pic of his unit when he did this on his. Some ppl swear by this method, personally all I've had to do it drill a hole in the thermostat, fill the system, let it set for a while with the cap off, add to the radiator if any is needed, cap it off, top off the puke jug, crank it up and be sure to turn on the heater to circulate antifreeze thru it as well. What were the temps on the hoses before after you changed the thermostat? I remember you saying that the top was hot and the bottom was cool.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am hoping its just a bad thermostat that is not opening up all the way causing the cooling problems and the burping issues. I have never needed the funnel before either but I have one of the funnels showing up tomorrow and I will get a new thermostat to throw in there first.

Werecow

Reaction score
Easy way to check the thermostat, toss it in a pot of water with a candy thermometer or a meat thermometer and see how hot it gets before it opens up, and see if it's opening up all the way as well..

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it your running an electric pump. Was that pump listed specifically for our years????

The reason I ask is our water pumps and the entire system does flow in reverse. If the pump isn’t flowing in the right direction it could cause issues. Also, did you put the head gaskets on in the correct direction when you had the heads off??? If not that will most definitely cause an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it your running an electric pump. Was that pump listed specifically for our years????

The reason I ask is our water pumps and the entire system does flow in reverse. If the pump isn’t flowing in the right direction it could cause issues. Also, did you put the head gaskets on in the correct direction when you had the heads off??? If not that will most definitely cause an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup its for a 94 my concern was if I managed to wire it up backwards. The more I think about it, it never had temp issues all this time when it was running bad or during the 2 hours while I was doing the remote tunes with revving it up/down. I am sure either I dicked up that thermostat installing it or its bad and not opening up completely.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I replaced the thermostat and got the no spill funnel and was amazed at how long air kept coming out of it. It seems to be working normally now and was not spewing the coolant out and was able to hold temp. Its raining pretty good today so I didn't get to get it on the road but will be looking forward to doing it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online