BUYING replacement engine for 02 gt conv 5 speed.

sho89mtx

Reaction score
my engine has 176k on it and judging by the way it was taken care of by the previous owners, I don't expect it to last very long, so I'm wanting to buy another engine and make it faster.
I'm debating on getting a 5.4l engine, cobra engine, or the 3V mustang engine, what do u guys suggest? Looking for the cheapest option with the most potential. Also this might be a stupid question, but since engines are so heavy, if you buy an engine, how the heck do you get it home in your garage? I know I can buy a hoist or a stand for my garage, but getting it to the garage is my question. Most of them it says weighs close to 600lbs. Not even 4 friend of mine could lift that into and out of a truck

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I bought a nifty contraption off craigslist a few years back. It was a galvanized boat trailer that had a steel plate welded across the back of it and had an engine hoist mounted to it. You had to leave it hooked up to the truck but it was pretty cool. You could lift the engine, spin the hoist around, and strap the engine to the body of the trailer.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
If it were me swapping in new life......5.4l
after reading some articles, that is definately the cheapest option it seems. If I did that what it wouldnt involving tetting a new ecu, trans, wiring harness etc, like they say it does for the cobra and other engines, right?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The 5.4l is taller and wider than the 4.6l, so this means a wider intake manifold and exhaust modifications. Their is only one manufactured intake manifold designed specifically for under the hood fitment in our cars, HPS (high performance solutions). They may be making another run of 5.4l intakes, im not sure. Calling them is your best option for info and expect to pay around $700 new. Also check mustang forums classifieds. This intake is just like a pi intake, but solid aluminum. The truck intakes will work but the hood or a 6" cowl hood will not work

Since the engine is taller and wider, modifing an aftermarket exhaust mid pipe to fit really is no problem. Shorty headers and stock exhaust logs are about all that will fit

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
to get it to your house depends on how you get it. I got a rebuilt motor from Jasper engines and transmissions 7-8 yrs ago and it came on a freight carrier to the place that was installing it and picked up my old motor for a core return. If you go to the junk yard then a lot of people will throw the motor on top of an old tire and then tie it down.

OP
OP
S

sho89mtx

Reaction score
K, THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE INFO. I WONDER IF IT WOULD BE SMART TO GET A SPARE ENGINE AND START BUILDING IT UP IF I GET A GOOD DEAL?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online