C.O.P Questions

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Hey guys new here hoping someone could help me out here, I've got a 1996 mustang gt and I did the COP conversion im showing power at the main plug from original coil pack plug, and when I put key in the on position I'm also showing power on number 7 and 8 coil plug and 1 and 3 coil plug, Now from what I've read they are the triggers for the other coils. I tried plugging in the coil out of the head with a plug in it to test for spark I'm not seeing any spark am I missing something?

TIA.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Yes power on 1 and 3 and 7 and 8 is how it's supposed to be wired up. Our ecu doesn't fire 8 separate coils. Here's a wiring diagram of how it should be. Sometimes if the boot is on the coil it's hard to get a spark. Put a plug in the coil and try that

Attachments

• cop harness.png
    cop harness.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Yes power on 1 and 3 and 7 and 8 is how it's supposed to be wired up. Our ecu doesn't fire 8 separate coils. Here's a wiring diagram of how it should be. Sometimes if the boot is on the coil it's hard to get a spark. Put a plug in the coil and try that
So yes that is how I have it wired up, I've put a plug in the boot and didn't see anything I will try putting a plug in coil tomorrow and see what I get. Thanks

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So yes that is how I have it wired up, I've put a plug in the boot and didn't see anything I will try putting a plug in coil tomorrow and see what I get. Thanks
Also, are you cranking the engine when looking for spark? Make sure to unplug the injectors before cranking.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Also, are you cranking the engine when looking for spark? Make sure to unplug the injectors before cranking.
I have the fuel pump fuse pulled out and injectors are currently unplugged when cranking.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Ok so I tried putting the plug directly on the coil itself and still not seeing spark. Again still showing power on 1,3 and 8,7. I'm at a loss...

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Have you double checked your connections from the old coil pack connector to the new harness? Also, is it all the coils that aren’t firing or just a few?
Ya so I've checked for power at the new plug on the harness at coil pack and I've got power there and power as I mentioned on 1,3 and 7,8 but absolutely no spark. I was thinking possibly crank position sensor.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Ya so I've checked for power at the new plug on the harness at coil pack and I've got power there and power as I mentioned on 1,3 and 7,8 but absolutely no spark. I was thinking possibly crank position sensor.
Sorry yes no spark on all coils

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Sorry yes no spark on all coils
Crank sensor could be a culprit. Did you have a problem before the cop harness install? Is this the only thing you did at this time?

Also, do you have a scan tool that can monitor crank sensor position?

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Crank sensor could be a culprit. Did you have a problem before the cop harness install? Is this the only thing you did at this time?

Also, do you have a scan tool that can monitor crank sensor position?
So before the car was parked a few years ago it ran fine, also it was parked in garage out or the elements. I currently dont have a scan tool that will monitor crank position.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
That's odd. Do you have to polarity correct?
I followed the cop conversion from TCCoA.com. that was recommended from a few guys on another forum. I'm going to check all off that out again tomorrow but I'm having a feeling it could be crank position sensor.

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
I followed the cop conversion from TCCoA.com. that was recommended from a few guys on another forum. I'm going to check all off that out again tomorrow but I'm having a feeling it could be crank position
I followed the cop conversion from TCCoA.com. that was recommended from a few guys on another forum. I'm going to check all off that out again tomorrow but I'm having a feeling it could be crank position sensor.
Stupid question but what would be the best way to check polarity on that?

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Alright so I went out this morning went through everything and then decided to try plugging in my original coil pack and test for spark and I've got spark so I'm guessing something isn't quite right in the cop harness I've made. Going to go through that and see where I went wrong.

Thanks for the help guys

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Yeah that happens sometimes. Just take your time and go over it. Also did you splice it in or did you find the coil pack connectors and make it plug and play to the factory harness

OP
OP
Shawn 1980

Shawn 1980

Reaction score
Yeah that happens sometimes. Just take your time and go over it. Also did you splice it in or did you find the coil pack connectors and make it plug and play to the factory harness
Ok so I went through and made an entirely new harness and still the same problem I've got power on 7,8 and 1,3 but no spark at all, I've made it plug directly into original coil pack plug so yes plug and play. I'm at a complete loss as to why still no spark because when I plug in coil pack I've got spark plug in new harness I've got power but no spark, I think it's time to retire the cop Idea and just stick with the coil pack unfortunately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online