Caliper Bolt Stuck

drunkenhypnotoad

Reaction score
Well I'm trying to change my pads and rotors and these sons of *****s won't come off. The bolt to the calipers is stuck I've soaked it in pb blaster all day and still can't get it to budge. Anyone have any suggestions?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to change my pads and rotors and these sons of *****s won't come off. The bolt to the calipers is stuck I've soaked it in pb blaster all day and still can't get it to budge. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you talking about the fronts or the rears? And the bolt you are referring to is the one that holds the bracket to the spindle/axle? If so, how long have you been soaking it? If you haven't let it sit for a good couple hours with several dosings along the way, I suggest do that first. PB blaster isn't immediate. It might need to soak over night. Do that, then get the longest handled ratchet/breaker bar you can fit in there, use a pipe to extend the handle if necessary, and try to apply constant pressure to break it loose. Try not "knock it" loose, you might snap the bolt. Just keep applying PB Blaster, and keep applying constant leverage at the end of your handle.

Once it is out, when reassembling be sure to slap some anti-seize on those guys :)

OP
OP
drunkenhypnotoad

drunkenhypnotoad

Reaction score
Its the fronts and its all of the bolts on the calipers. I've been using a breaker bar and I can't believe the bolt hasn't broke I layed on the ground pulled on that bar till i picked myself up. I'm not little I'm about 190lbs and its been soaking since 12

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its the fronts and its all of the bolts on the calipers. I've been using a breaker bar and I can't believe the bolt hasn't broke I layed on the ground pulled on that bar till i picked myself up. I'm not little I'm about 190lbs and its been soaking since 12

Dayum. Not to be a jerk, but you are sure you are loosening it and not tightening it, right? I remember them being really hard on my car when I first got it...all I can say is keep soaking and use a longer bar :/ I sometimes also use this stuff called Gibbs (link to their site) - there are times when I have found Gibbs to work better than PB Blaster.

OP
OP
drunkenhypnotoad

drunkenhypnotoad

Reaction score
You know this is going to make me sound dumb but I thought that might be the case earlier so i checked on a different bolt and yeah i had it the right way. The car sat for 5 year so I assumed they where going to be stuck but **** they should have broke by now

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You know this is going to make me sound dumb but I thought that might be the case earlier so i checked on a different bolt and yeah i had it the right way. The car sat for 5 year so I assumed they where going to be stuck but **** they should have broke by now

5 years is a long time. I'd soak it longer ;) Like seriously, let it soak for a full 24 hours. Keep spraying, and just let it soak for a while. It might take a little time for the penetrating oil to work.

Caboose302

Reaction score
Do you have access to a torch? Even a little propane torch can help sometimes. Doesn't have to be acetylene. I've had to use heat on a few customers cars that came in from little old ladies on cars that were 5-8yrs old and never had the pads replaced because they never drove them. Just heat up the bracket a bit and then spray a little PB in the hole for the bolt. 90% of the time it works every time.

OP
OP
drunkenhypnotoad

drunkenhypnotoad

Reaction score
On a side note the rotor looks like someone took a chisel to it has a bunch of horizontal groves in it. I've never seen anything like it before.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Sounds like a pain in the butt. I usually can get almost anything with my Snap-on SLF80 (long 1/2 drive ratchet). Its definitely a good investment for cases like this! If you end up breaking the bolts, they do sell the caliper brackets separately at most parts stores for a decent price. Good luck and keep us posted!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Propane works well to heat bolts like that up but map gas is even better. Head to autozone and buy a can.

Heat it till smoke starts rollin around it then try it again.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Yes, I've heard great things about this. I knew a guy that specialized in changing the plugs on the 5.4s that always broke off... I asked him why he was able to change so many without problems and kroil was his secret weapon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.