cam and gear drive

95_stang

Reaction score
i have a 95 gt. i am looking to put a cam and gear drive in it, but i was told i may not be able to because of a knock sensor. do i have one and will i not be able to put a cam and gear drive on my car because of it.

94OJGT

Reaction score
i believe are cars do have knock sensors , but that shouldnt matter if your just putin a cam in it, knockin is usually caused by changing your timing w/o running higher octane is it not? thats my 2 cents.... :dunno:
lol

ryclef331

Reaction score
sigh... :nonono:

FIRST OFF....

I'm going to scream it to the world.

OUR CARS (94-95...or ANY 5.0 for that matter) DOES NOT HAVE ANY SORT OF KNOCK SENSOR!!!!

SECOND...

If the car DID have a knock sensor, YES, a gear drive COULD throw it off. A knock sensor senses the harmonics of the metal on metal banging....when it reads knock, it pulls timing and adds fuel to prevent the detonation (whatever may be causing it)...REGARDLESS, you cars don't have knock sensors therefor you don't have to worry about that.

SO if you want to put a gear drive on there for the "noise" go for it. I personally think its about as gay as putting a whistler tip on a car to fool people into think you have a turbo. ALSO, its HARD on the valve train. A timing chain has some slack and a lil bit of stretch. A gear set doesn't. SO everytime a cylinder fires, it DIRECTLY, transfers that intial "beating" it forces down onto the piston...through the rod, into the crankshaft with turns (guess what) the lower gear on your sweet gear drive setup. That shock goes through the set, up to the cam with it beats your lifters, rockers, pushrods, etc. Its not really the "shock" but the REPEATED shocks. It can loosened up valve train components and cause havoc. ALL THIS mainly applies to a street car. If you're just doing 1/4 blasts...go for it, if you insist...but there is a reason hardly anyone uses gear drives any more...you don't need them and they're not the best option

OP
OP

95_stang

Reaction score
thanks, i didnt know that about gear drives. what type of cam do would you recommend. my cars motor is all stock.

ryclef331

Reaction score
stock car? I wouldn't really reccomend one but you might pick up some power with something mild like an E303. Take the oppourtunity to freshen up your valvesprings while the cam is out of the car to ensure you can take full advantage of the increased RPMs in the powerband....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah