Cam and intake manifold install

hash06

Reaction score
i am going to try to install a pi intake and VT stage 1 cams, how hard is this going to be to install
thanks

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you can't install vt cams in npi heads without offset retainers and having the spring perches machined because the lift is too high.

97vertstang

Reaction score
theres other companies that make npi cams.crower , steen and comp cams make npi cams.

OP
OP
H

hash06

Reaction score
ok which cams would you advise me to go with, something compariable to vt stage 1 or stage two

nyuk98gt

Reaction score
hash06:

MM&FF or 5.0 magazine did a cam comparo a while ago. They said the Comp Cams 262's gave the best bang for the buck in terms of power gained over the broadest RPM range. You might want to look at 268's (I have them), too, they are pretty peppy from about 1800 up to 6000 RPM. I have not gotten to the dyno yet but it is on my to-do list.

As for the swap, it is not bad (and I am not the fastest wrench in the West). I have a shop manual (big help), lots of baggies (bag and tag all the parts, misc. nuts/bolts/sensors), a digital camera (so you can see what came off where/how), and cardboard. The cardboard is used to make a sketch of the front cover (for example) and then you can poke the bolts in at the correct spot so you don't get them mixed up later. You'll need a good in-pound torque wrench and anti-seize for the intake bolts and spark plugs (steel going into aluminum heads require anti-seize!), some antifreeze and distilled water, and some good RTV. I used new cam cover gaskets and front cover gaskets. They are re-usable so you don't have to buy them if you are on a tight budget. Watch you don't get coolant (from the intake) into the heads as you remove the intake, too. Take your time and double/triple check everything as you go. Before you start, print out as many cam swap and intake swap articles as you can find to see what hints others might have. "metroplex" has a good write-up on his site, "redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/", imo.

HTH,

Chris

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online