cam and intake swap cost?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
on a mod it isint cheap, the intake is easy but the cams require quite a bit of labor, I think regular shops would be 500-1000

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what cams you are talking about. If its the stock PI cams then they are pretty easy to install and with a cam install tool will only take like an hour...but if you are talking aftermarket cams then it will be much more since they really should be degreed and checked for PTV. What area do you live in? Maybe someone can suggest a shop.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I live in delaware...so If I put the PI Cam and intake on...how much would It be..

98armygt

Reaction score
its not hard to do yourself. so to save you cost on money i would do it yourself. so the only thing you would pay for is the intake and cams. i just got done tearing 2 motors down and reassemble them, with no prior experience, and its pretty easy. if you didnt live so dam far away i would help you at no cost. just to see another brother in the newer mustang HP range. the intake is a breeze. its the cams that take a little bit longer to do cause you gotta take the timing chain cover off and all that stuff. but once you do it a couple of times it gets easier.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its hard for us to tell you how much a shop will charge because the hourly rates vary alot from shop to shop...One shop might charge $60 an hour where another will charge $100 an hour. Since you are in Delaware i would suggest giving www.steenracing.com a look and call. They are in Northern Va and one of the best modular shops in the country.

S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
Its hard for us to tell you how much a shop will charge because the hourly rates vary alot from shop to shop...One shop might charge $60 an hour where another will charge $100 an hour. Since you are in Delaware i would suggest giving www.steenracing.com a look and call. They are in Northern Va and one of the best modular shops in the country.
Bob, Steen Racing isnt in northern Va...Its in South eastern Va. (Hampton) Complete opposite side of the state. Good place though!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i don't know why i wrote northern...maybe because when i went there i came through del/maryland down rt13... :dunno:

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
The intake is no problem to swap. If you have any mechanical know how do it yourself. If you are putting a pi intake on the car you will need non pi intake gaskets, pi coolant tube and nipple, and water pump gasket. Someone has a cam tool that i saw in a magazine where you dont have to take off the timing chain cover. That gasket is expensive anyways. I just put on a pi intake on my non pi heads, but i havent ran it yet. I actually just got through messing with it. The intake is very simple to do. I have all the part numbers if you need them. I read somewhere that the pi intake alone is suppose to add 18rwhp.

S

scarface

Gtnut1996 said:
The intake is no problem to swap. If you have any mechanical know how do it yourself. If you are putting a pi intake on the car you will need non pi intake gaskets, pi coolant tube and nipple, and water pump gasket. Someone has a cam tool that i saw in a magazine where you dont have to take off the timing chain cover. That gasket is expensive anyways. I just put on a pi intake on my non pi heads, but i havent ran it yet. I actually just got through messing with it. The intake is very simple to do. I have all the part numbers if you need them. I read somewhere that the pi intake alone is suppose to add 18rwhp.
By using the NON pi intake gaskets you have to use WAAAAAYYYYY more silicone than if you just used the PI gaskets. With the pi gaskets you just need a dab around the corners of the water ports.

whty98

Reaction score
I've also heard that you can use both of the gaskets (pi and non pi) at just fill in with RTV where there is the gap?? Not sure on this

The intake swap is easy as hell, I did a non PI to a non PI aluminium back when I didn't know about the PI intake stuff.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
scarface said:
Gtnut1996 said:
By using the NON pi intake gaskets you have to use WAAAAAYYYYY more silicone than if you just used the PI gaskets. With the pi gaskets you just need a dab around the corners of the water ports.

Definately agree, just using the PI gasket will let you use almost no RTV compared to the shitloads you will need with NPI gaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online