Cam degree

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Went by the shop today, and the covers are all off the motor.
talked with the man there,
asked him how much to degree my cams since it's all open now.
3 HR's labor.

So I gave him the OK, and he's gonna do it!
WOOT

I wonder how much good it will do.??

Ranth - finish yourse so you can tell me about it!!

SlickGT

Reaction score
Make sure you get some good adjustable cam gears. What cams did you go with? Post up some vids once you get em in.

Rantheman

Reaction score
Well I wouln't do adjustable cam gear grind the key way is good enough I trust it. I will let you know dalmar I will have her running saturday we should compare Passenger side was 5 degrees advanced and the driver side was 3 degrees adavanced let me know what you come up with.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone explain what this does. I know I have a 5.0 so it totally diffrent but for a while there I couldnt get my car to ever idle well and it didnt seem to have the power it should, a guy told me to degree my cam...

Nater

Reaction score
yes please explain further as I am putting some MPH custom grind cams in soon.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
make sure you ask how far they are off...i like to know those things.

Will do DTP

SlickGT said:
Make sure you get some good adjustable cam gears. What cams did you go with? Post up some vids once you get em in.
I've read bad things about them, I'm just having them grind the keyway, like Ranth mentioned.

Good luck on getting her finished Ranth. You gonna dyno it?

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
Can someone explain what this does. I know I have a 5.0 so it totally diffrent but for a while there I couldnt get my car to ever idle well and it didnt seem to have the power it should, a guy told me to degree my cam...

As I understand it Matt, the cams have the groove for the keyway,
which can be off a little bit, which put's the valve timing off from the pistons a bit.
the modulars haveing 2 cams, puts that timing off between the left and right side.

there's reports of 10-25 Hp gains on a Mod.
Now's the time to check mine, I want to make sure everything is syncronized.
Peace of mind and a smoother running engine.
Power gains and stability when I'm pushing boost.

SlickGT

Reaction score
Rantheman... Could you please explain the process of grinding the keyway when using stock cam gears? According to my engine builder the only way to properly degree the cams is to use adjustable cam gears. Keep in my mind, im not referring to the crappy Fidanza or Comp Cams adjustable gears that have slipped out of adjustment and caused serious damage to a lot of motors. He is going to use cam ponent cam gears which use a pin style setup (instead of screws) that has proven to not slip out of adjustment. I am not stating that your method of degreeing cams is wrong. In fact, a lot of people have had great success with using the stock gears and grinding the keyway. Just hoping that someone could explain what is actually done when you "grind" the keyway. I have a brand new set of oem cams gears sitting in my garage so if I can make them work then ill be savin some serious loot.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SlickGT said:
Rantheman... Could you please explain the process of grinding the keyway when using stock cam gears? According to my engine builder the only way to properly degree the cams is to use adjustable cam gears. Keep in my mind, im not referring to the crappy Fidanza or Comp Cams adjustable gears that have slipped out of adjustment and caused serious damage to a lot of motors. He is going to use cam ponent cam gears which use a pin style setup (instead of screws) that has proven to not slip out of adjustment. I am not stating that your method of degreeing cams is wrong. In fact, a lot of people have had great success with using the stock gears and grinding the keyway. Just hoping that someone could explain what is actually done when you "grind" the keyway. I have a brand new set of oem cams gears sitting in my garage so if I can make them work then ill be savin some serious loot.

your just grinding the keyway slightly to allow the stock gear to be moved...with the stock setup all of the load is on the bolt and washer not the keyway so this method if perfectly fine. Now the ModCamponents adjustable gears are very nice high quality pieces that i would use if they weren't $500+
MPH/SteenRacing and most other shops grind the keyway with great success...I had bought a set of those Fidanza gears about a year ago and thankfully i saw that thread on MD about them so i sold them fast.

Rantheman

Reaction score
SlickGT said:

Yes I could you would grind the keyway off to be able to adjust the cam in the spec of the cam timing card which in my case is 109 degrees. This works great because there is a spacer on the back of the cam gear and the cam gear actualy stick out an 1/8 inch past the cam end. which is good because when you tighten that bolt to 95 ft lbs it get pinched between the spacer and the bolt and washer so it will hold and not slip. like the company droptop mentioned is great but I didn't want to spend 550 bucks. hope this helps you.
here is a picture
mustang315.jpg

[/quote]
Good luck on getting her finished Ranth. You gonna dyno it?
[/quote]
I will thanks dalmar and yes I will dyno it. I should make some good decent power eh!!

Rantheman

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:

Well there is not a big difference basicly the reason to degree a cam is to make sure the it is in sync with the motor and that all your reading com out to the cam card. being out of sync can cause damage if too far advaned or retarded. actualy it easier to do it on a 5.0 and there is power to be made from it!!

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your the man Ranth.
Thanks for turning me on to this.
:bunny3:

Rantheman

Reaction score
your welcome dalmar I like to help so a friend for a friend :thumb:

Rantheman

Reaction score
lookin good dalmar but according to your gear placement #1 must not be up!! :hammer:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online