Cam swap

voidfinger

Reaction score
Ok guys, i need some help. I got a set of 99/2000 pi cams in last week. I wanted the ones with the press on gears so i wouldn't have to worry with the cam gears being timed. I need some help b/c i have no clue how to install them. could someone walk me through it step by step? i got the pi intake and the cams so i'm looking to have a pretty fast setup here in a couple days. Please help me out. thanks

Adam

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Ok guys, i need some help. I got a set of 99/2000 pi cams in last week. I wanted the ones with the press on gears so i wouldn't have to worry with the cam gears being timed. I need some help b/c i have no clue how to install them. could someone walk me through it step by step? i got the pi intake and the cams so i'm looking to have a pretty fast setup here in a couple days. Please help me out. thanks

Ok for starters you should have got Romeo cams, your cam gears from your NPI cams bolt right on. There is a keyway and they only go on one way. There is no way to screw that up. Now that we have established that. Set the motor so #1 cylinder is at TDC. Now remove the front timing cover, and all the crap on the front. have fun with the one bolt on the PS pump.. :) Once that is all off, you will see the timing marks on the cam gears. On the crankshaft the keyway should be about 10:30 and the timing marks on both crank gear sprokets should be at 6 o clock. If they aren't then you are not at TDC. If they are, then make a mark on the chains in correlation to the timing marks on the gears. Then rotate the engine COUNTERCLOCKWISE by the crank so that the crank keyway is at 9pm. This will drop ALL CYLINDERS BELOW THE DECK< MAKING PTV CONTACT IMPOSSIBLE UPON REASSEMBLY. The you just basically swap out the cams. YOu need to bleed the lifters in a vice. There is more to it than this, I would reccomend you pick up a Chiltons or something.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
never heard of bleeding lifters, how do you do that?

Adam

Reaction score
Just take them out and put them in a vice and squeeze the oil out of them. pretty easy, just takes a little time. If you don't you will have a big ole racket when you start it.

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
so will it just make a little noise for min or two.??? or will it do it for a while?

Adam

Reaction score
If you bleed them about 15 seconds, if not..10-15 minutes(so I have heard from a Ford tech :comando:)...I just wanna know who the dumbass was who sat there and listened to that racket for 15min? Oh yeah, thats right..A Ford tech.... :rollinglaugh:

OP
OP
V

voidfinger

Reaction score
well isn't it hard to pull them out anyway? if it didn't hurt the motor but just made a noise for 15 mins then i would do it if it was hard to get them things out ya know. but if not then yea i would do it and if it would hurt the motor then yea i would do it. but thats just me :-\ but then again your talking to someone that had there overflow tank start pumping fluid out the cap while it was running and that someone said "hey why don't i relieve the pressure so it won't explode." god i'm a dumbass, i was so lucky i didn't get hurt, just burnt like hot coffie on my crotch lol. but nothing major..... :nonono:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online