cam timing issue

98armygt

Reaction score
ok guys ran into a snag. i lined all of the timing marks up. while i was cranking the block over by hand it stopped about half way around. this tells me that i have a piston hitting a valve. now heres my question. is there anyway to time the cams without having to go spend a crap load of money on a tool?? any help will be greatly appreciated. this is keeping me from dropping my motor back into my car. thanks guys.

S

scarface

WHat cams are you running? Some cams require the pistons to be knotched to avoid this very problem.

S

scarface

wow....are you sure you have it instaled correctly? I dont think you would have this much problem with stock cams. I have blower cams, and all I did was line up the timming marks ???

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
i went and installed everything twice. the only thing left to do is pull the heads back off. thats why i asked about timing the cams. like everyone says, everyones engines are just a little different. the old cams were just a little bit off from my cams. it only happens in one spot. and its like 180 degrees out from where i start.

S

scarface

hmmmm....thats odd. I really cant help though, mine were straight forward on the instal. Hopefully one of these engine builder guys will step in.

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
i hope so. cause if i cant get any help then im just gonna have to bite the bullet and send it off to have someone else do it. i dont want to do that.

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
well i just got off the phone with a buddy and he brought something to my attention. if the lifters are bottomed out cause they have been sitting for a min and theres no oil in them anymore could that cause clearance issues with the piston. like the because the lifters are bottomed out would the valve go further into the cylinder?? i loosened the head bolts and i was able to rotate through the spot i was getting contact at. it was catching a little and i could hear the head moving while i pushed through. now i just didnt shove that thing through with all of my might but it took alittle more then usual.

S

scarface

Hmmm, That I cant answer. We colapsed the lash adjusters, but I didnt recal any clearence issues before startup.

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
did you soak them in oil or pump them up with oil before you put them in????

S

scarface

Im not sure. I was more of the helper in the job. I know he kept them in a jug of oil while we did the job. However, one did take about 200 miles to pump up once it was running again. It was noisy for a while.

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
i dont see how there could be a problem with this. but im gonna soak them in oil and pump them up tomorrow. then try to rotate it again to see if they clear. gona cross my fingers.

OP
OP

98armygt

Reaction score
well i came to the conclusion that its the head gaskets. i took the followers out from both heads and it still got stuck. pulled the heads off and it spun free. put the old 04 head gaskets back in with the heads on and it spins free. would the head gaskets really cause that type of problem??

Rantheman

Reaction score
I kow only two types of head gasket thickness on is 35 thousands and 43 thousands a head gasket could make a difference. but if you are only running stock p.i. cams then most likley it possable is the cam gear. Ford was pretty lazy at time I have heard of cam being of as far as 13 degrees because of the cam gear. or it was installed in correctly that all I know

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online