Camaro vs mustang at the track

97blackgt

Reaction score
One of my buddies has a 86 Iroc camaro that he thinks is amazingly quick which the best he has run is a 14.3 at the track. I myself have never been, but i was just wondering what parts I would need to at least stay with him, or be a little quicker. I dynoed at 205hp 264tq with just flowmasters welded in so i think my engine runs pretty strong. Since then i have added the mods in my sig. So, what is the easiest way to get into the low 14's? I was thinking PI intake and cam swap?

jpajkos

Reaction score
Head swap and intake. It will bump the compression up alittle bit and give you a few extra ponies. Long tubes really help. I know they did for me.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
I dont know much about the Modular Engines, but I do know that a PI swap will help you a lot. Also, some good driving and sticky tires will drop your times. I should run low 14's and you can use my sig to see what i have done, if it helps...

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
CanaryGt what are the best times u have run? Also i want to do the Pi cams and intake but i dont think i can afford the heads. Are low 14's possible with that combination do u think?

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Well, Like i said I should Run low 14's. I have yet to run my car but I have seen people with the same mods, and even less, run 14's. The intake will help but I don't know about the cam. I personally wouldn't spend the money on getting the cam and then the install. Intake will help, so will heads. I don't know how bad stock NPI heads are, but if they are anything like the 5.0 ones, they suck. Also, small things will help like Pullies and such. He said he ran a 14.3? Is this just talk or is it on paper??

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
97blackgt said:
One of my buddies has a 86 Iroc camaro that he thinks is amazingly quick which the best he has run is a 14.3 at the track. I myself have never been, but i was just wondering what parts I would need to at least stay with him, or be a little quicker. I dynoed at 205hp 264tq with just flowmasters welded in so i think my engine runs pretty strong. Since then i have added the mods in my sig. So, what is the easiest way to get into the low 14's? I was thinking PI intake and cam swap?

hmm...correct me if im wrong..but arent these old camaros shit...like 15 seconds...or did he do something to his car?

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
Actually theres a lot of work done to it but everything is thrown together, and it doesnt run to its full potential. Hes got a 350 punched out .60 over, air gap intake manifold, roller rockers, comp cam, and springs, full exhaust, edlebrock carb, ect. but its nevr been tuned properly and it just doesnt run that well.. His best is a 14.3 but keep in mind that was his first time to the track also. Anyways im hoping with PI inake and cams ill be able to take him(with mods in my sig.)?

ck5.0

Reaction score
The PI swap will help out a ton. Is your car a 5 speed or auto? How about his?

s3c2n01

Reaction score
97blackgt said:
Actually theres a lot of work done to it but everything is thrown together, and it doesnt run to its full potential. Hes got a 350 punched out .60 over, air gap intake manifold, roller rockers, comp cam, and springs, full exhaust, edlebrock carb, ect. but its nevr been tuned properly and it just doesnt run that well.. His best is a 14.3 but keep in mind that was his first time to the track also. Anyways im hoping with PI inake and cams ill be able to take him(with mods in my sig.)?

i have a 98 npi mustang with 24lb injectors,73mm maf,coldair,pi intake 3:73 gear. and ran 13.9 . and then i sprayed a 75 zex and ran a 13.2 100 mpg and 1.87 60 foot. yes it is a 5 speed and yes it was on mt drag. thats with no tune and colder pulgs.

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
s3c2n01 said:
97blackgt said:

i have a 98 npi mustang with 24lb injectors,73mm maf,coldair,pi intake 3:73 gear. and ran 13.9 . and then i sprayed a 75 zex and ran a 13.2 100 mpg and 1.87 60 foot. yes it is a 5 speed and yes it was on mt drag. thats with no tune and colder pulgs.
Thats very impressive but thats what i want to hear! and yeah him and i both have 5 spds. But it will be my first time to the track so im not expecting very quick numbers in the first place. I just wanna run with him at 14.3 or so

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Well, if you want to slice an easy second off your quarter, Nitrous is the way to go...

ALITL8

Reaction score
are you planning to run on those 18's? a set of DR's is almost a must and if you just want to get down the track faster nitrous will do the trick.

i'd say your car at best might run a mid/high 14 with the mods you have. sadly our cars from the factory are more like a 15.2ish on a good day :nonono: my first couple of trips to the track were 15's and my best time to date is listed in my sig.

OP
OP

97blackgt

Reaction score
Will the 18's slow me down a lot? I have brand new tires but they are street tires and only 245-40 at that?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
a little, but it's the traction you want for your launch.

Like others have said, if you cant afford the headswap, adding nitrous is a big help, and it's there just when you use it.
Beat that Slowmaro.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online